It's been over 3 years since a Portland Area GIS User Group meetup and it's finally time again to connect with our local geospatial professionals, students, and enthusiasts! This GIS social is a collaboration between Portland Area GIS, Emerging Professionals, and Esri. There will be peer presentations on all the great GIS and technology innovations happening in the Portland area. Food and beverages will be provided by Esri and we will have a tour of their new R&D office digs in downtown Portland that just opened up for operation. Look forward to seeing you all there! Please RSVP by registering for the event.
September 14, 2022
1:00 - 3:30pm
Esri R&D Office
Atrium in Main Lobby
900 SW 5th Ave, Portland
Rather attend virtually? We're looking into options for the presentation portion of the event and will post more info here soon.
ORURISA Portland Area GIS Users Group - PAGIS
The Portland Area GIS Users Group (PAGIS) provides a forum for GIS professionals, students, and others interested in GIS to meet, share ideas, view demonstrations, and participate in technical discussions. We are a network of people in the GIS community of the greater Portland area and believe that we can all learn from each other and improve our job performance. The User Group provides a means and opportunity for users to get to know one another and exchange information and expertise. Anyone with an interest in GIS can attend meetings -- or present.
The Idaho State Tax Commission is looking to fill 2 GIS Analyst III Senior positions in the property tax division at our Boise office.
The job posting can be found at:
Job Opportunities | State of Idaho (governmentjobs.com)
The closing date for this position is September 1st, 2022 at 11:59PM Mountain
This is a great opportunity to be a lead developer (GIS Programmer/Engineer, Lead) specializing in GIS (Geographic Information Systems) applications with a talented IT team. With a solid GIS foundation, proven expert-level application development skills and a consultative mindset, you will focus on implementing complex technical solutions, providing GIS programming expertise, designing system integrations, leading development teams, and helping to set future directions in an evolving GIS technology world.
Core Daily Responsibilities:
You can find a more detailed job description and apply online at
Fully remote job opportunity: Conservation Science GIS Fellow for the National Parks Conservation Association.
Closing date: 2022-09-30
Position: Conservation Science Geospatial Fellow
Organization: National Parks Conservation Association
Country: United States
State: District of Columbia
Contact: Nik Moy
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Conservation Science GIS Fellow will advance NPCA’s Conservation Science work by developing high quality cartographic maps, data visualizations and interactive GIS web applications using Esri and Adobe CC software, as well as coordinate and manage geospatial data for the organization. The Conservation Science Program works within the Conservation Programs department and collaboratively throughout NPCA to find innovative solutions that help integrate science, improve storytelling, foster science-based reputability, and empower data-driven decision-making across the organization. The Conservation Science GIS Fellow will work within Conservation Science to gather, analyze, and translate geospatial data for a variety of mixed-technical audiences including internal departments and cross-departmental programs and teams as well as associated conservation advocates, policymakers, and on-the-ground partners. This work will inform and support national initiatives and regional campaigns addressing clean air and water, wildlife and ecosystem health, sustainable energy policy, large landscape conservation, and environmental justice. Candidates should have a combination of strong GIS and graphic design experience, have experience and interest in science-communication, and be an advocate for equitable and just conservation of public lands. Full time, remote, with full benefits
Job posting here: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=53f6f507-a5aa-40d9-9198-8802e8d57d1a&ccId=19000101_000001&type=MP&lang=en_US
With more than 1.6 million members and supporters beside us, NPCA is the voice of America’s national parks, working to protect and preserve our nation’s most iconic and inspirational places for present and future generations. We celebrate the parks — and work tirelessly to defend them — whether on the ground, in the courtroom or on Capitol Hill. From our national headquarters in Washington, D.C., and 27 locations nationwide, we call on our program and policy experts, committed volunteers, staff lobbyists, community organizers and communications specialists to inform and inspire the public and to influence decision makers to ensure that our national parks are well protected. We’ve earned many hard-won victories together — but our national parks face new threats every day. Learn more about the challenges and opportunities facing our national parks, then use your voice to advocate on their behalf.
About the Position: Ecochallenge.org seeks a motivated and reliable individual for our internship program. This program is ideal for people seeking experience in the nonprofit sector and sustainability or climate change education. The intern will work with the Program & Learning Manager and may collaborate with other staff members. The intern will primarily support learning and programming efforts in Discussion books and Ecochallenge events.
Duties & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Pursue permissions contracts with publishers/authors
● Identify and catalog new client engagement leads for learning programs
● Conduct research in sustainability education, climate justice, behavior change
● Proofread and copy-edit learning program curricula materials
● Develop learning activities and other curricula for learning programs
● Catalog learn more resources for Ecochallenge events
● Participate in an Ecochallenge event
● Collaborate and coordinate with other staff as needed
● Additionally, the intern will identify one or two goals that they wish to accomplish
EWEB is currently seeking a GIS Analyst with a primary focus on GIS customer support and system administration.
More info here - https://recruiting.ultipro.com/EUG1001EWEB/JobBoard/23d62d3c-f909-4124-8b2c-4aa0d61f4f1d/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=d0c5bd9c-bd70-4e54-85e5-1330247428f8
This posting will close Friday, September 2, 2022, at 3:00 p.m. P.S.T. We recommend you get your application in as soon as possible.
The Eugene Water Electric Board is currently seeking a GIS Application Analyst II to perform work related to GIS which includes: User Support and Training, Application Configuration and Maintenance, GIS Development Environments and Programming Languages, Data Management, GIS and other Support Systems, Report Development, Analysis, Application and Process Design, Software Troubleshooting and testing, and project/task management. This position is positioned in the Information Services Division with a primary focus on GIS system administration and customer support.
This job has a broad range of responsibilities and is placed in the job family by the performance of increasingly complex tasks and duties. Specific duties will vary, and they may change as necessary to meet business needs.
Specific duties include:
The successful candidate will have knowledge of and direct experience with:
Application Analyst II positions is $73,468.32 to $91,835.52.
Please note: This posting includes supplemental questions. Your responses will be scored and used to determine if you will proceed to the next step of the selection process. Please provide detailed answers to each question. Please do not reference your resume or application in your responses. Applications may be rejected if incomplete.
This position is based in Eugene, Oregon; however, it has been approved as a hybrid telecommuting arrangement involving a combination of telecommuting and working on-site on a less frequent basis. EWEB is committed to the safety of the workforce, therefore on-site visits may be reduced based on CDC/OHA guidelines due to COVID-19.
The City of Tigard seeks a GIS Analyst II with advanced GIS analytical and program development skills. We seek an employee who is able to apply their GIS knowledge in varying and challenging topics and do so in a self-motivated manner. Our new employee will be able to use their excellent communication skills and work well with others in team settings, and also apply their exceptional ingenuity and documentation skills to bring about solutions.
The GIS Analyst II works on complex geospatial centric projects and programs involving highly skilled technical work in GIS (geographic information systems) applications, databases, and techniques. GIS Analysts II have in-depth experience and skills in GIS science, problem definition, requirements definition, development of solutions, GIS centric programming /scripting, and communication skills. GIS Analysts II apply their knowledge of the specialized subject matter in geospatial science using standardized methodologies and work with people from different disciplines in developing creative solutions.
The City of Tigard values diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and life experiences. We are committed to building a workforce of diverse voices to impact decision making, drive growth, and better serve our community. We strongly encourage those wanting to work with and serve diverse populations to apply.
Please review the GIS Programmer/Analyst classification for additional details about this job.
Examples of Duties
Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Metro is currently recruiting for a Data Stewardship Manager. The deadline to apply is 8/31/2022 at 5:00 pm. Here is a link to the posting with details:
Position summaryMetro is dedicated to shaping a better future for the greater Portland region. The work the people of Metro do every day benefits the lives of the people who live here, today and tomorrow. We offer a highly competitive compensation and benefits program. Learn more about the benefits Metro offers.
"Great data informs great decisions." Metro, a regional government in Portland, Oregon works with local governments, communities, businesses and residents in the Portland metropolitan area to chart a wise course for the future while protecting the things we love about this place. Metro serves the nearly 1.7 million people of the region by providing services for land use and transportation planning, housing, natural areas, parks and trails, solid waste and recycling and visitor venues like the Oregon Convention Center and Oregon Zoo.
The Data Stewardship Manager will be part of the leadership team of the Planning, Development and Research Department of Metro. The Department is the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for the region and also includes many other functions and programs, including but not limited to: modeling and forecasting, data development, land use transportation planning, transportation resources, investments areas, affordable housing, supportive housing services and economic development.
Data plays an important role in understanding and guiding policies, programs and decisions that our community members make. In recognition of this, Metro’s data team collaborates with local partners to develop and deliver the Regional Land Information System (RLIS). RLIS provides more than 150 layers of spatial data that support strategic decision-making for governments, businesses and organizations across our region. RLIS is a valuable public asset that provides a foundation for regional planning decisions.
We are looking for someone who can be both a visionary and lead a team. This manager will be a visionary that will have an idea of what the future looks like for GIS and a pathway. This position will provide an opportunity to leverage recent innovations in the GIS field like HUB, availability of RLIS layers in AGOL. At the same time, the person must lead with values that align with the organization based on the 6 outcomes of Metro: equity, vibrant communities, climate change, economic prosperity, safe and reliable transportation, and health ecosystem. A visionary will lead in the field of GIS, while upholding and demonstrating Metro’s core values.
In terms of management, this position will oversee the RLIS program and related data programs, and the professional staff, approximately 3-5 GIS analyst positions. As manager, this person will oversee the department’s GIS infrastructure (hardware, software and resource allocation), and configuration and support of databases related to GIS. They will have to also manage staff, budget and resources related to the maintenance of RLIS. This position will also be responsible overseeing the Regional Photo Consortium, a partnership of jurisdictions and non-profit organizations that jointly acquire annual aerial photos. The position carries out responsibilities for critical programs and projects that require independence, project management skills, cultural competence and best practices in data management.
Lastly, this position requires communication and relationship-building skills. We are looking for a leader who has the ability to communicate and maintain constructive working relationships internal and external to the agency on an on-going basis, either as a partner on a project/program or in a client-provider relationship.
Lake County is recruiting for a GIS Coordinator. This is an exempt, department head position that reports to the Board of Commissioners. Responsible for all GIS functions for the County. Provides GIS support to the community, county departments, and Emergency Services. Performs cartographic duties and maintenance of the Assessor’s tax maps. Also provides administrative support for the County Surveyor.
Bachelor’s Degree in GIS, geography, or related field, and 2 years of GIS or automated mapping experience.
This is a full-time, exempt, non-union position with benefits that includes paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. Medical, vision, and dental insurance, and PERS retirement. 37.5 hours/week,
$60,000 - $72,930 per year salary range, depending on experience.
To apply complete a Lake County Job Application and return to:
Lake County Business Services
513 Center Street
Lakeview, Oregon 97630
or email to email@example.com For questions, call Jay at (541) 219-2458. Full job description and applications can be downloaded from lakecountyor.org, or picked up at the Courthouse.
Salary: Range 43 – 45 ($6,784 - $8,663/month) DOQ
Employment Status: Regular, Exempt, Full-Time position
Benefit Package: Regular, Full-Time Employee Benefits
Remote Work: Hybrid; Half of Scheduled Work Time in the Office
Schedule: 4 x 10s or 5 x 8s with Flexible Schedule Options
Reports to: Technology Supervisor
Job Summary: The Geographic Information System (GIS) Administrator plays a key role in Emerald’s day-to-day operations and long-term strategic plan. This position designs, develops, and implements GIS applications and provides general oversight of the geospatial data to meet utility and customer needs. This includes developing, managing, and maintaining the enterprise GIS spatial database in line with the agency standards and procedures to ensure data integrity, security, quality, and auditability; streamlining processes to ensure efficient use of the GIS software and operating systems; facilitating integration between mapping and other core software systems at Emerald; analyzing GIS data to develop business solutions; create and maintain GIS metadata; and supporting Emerald’s mapping and GIS systems. These critical functions play a key role in helping Emerald make continuous progress on critical strategic initiatives.
To apply, please complete the online application and submit the following documents:
Duties and Responsibilities:
Amount of time working in each function may vary. It is expected that the amount of time spent performing each function will fluctuate as needed for an employee to successfully manage their schedule.
1. Geographic Information Systems Administration – Administer key GIS systems, including the spatial database, ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Online. Administer and support the National Information Solutions Cooperative (NISC) enterprise software suite encompassing GIS, mapping, and staking functions. Design, implement, and maintain GIS and related data structures and integration with other business systems. Make GIS database architectural recommendations and provide options to resolve issues and improve performance. Provide oversight and maintenance of the GIS databases to ensure data quality and to assist with decision making. Oversee GIS project work and collaborate with project partners. Coordinate with the Technology Supervisor to establish a strategic vision and goals for the GIS systems and applications. Streamline and/or automate processes in order to eliminate or minimize high manual work. Develop plans, elicit requirements, and define solutions for new projects. Maintain and expand system, process, and application documentation and metadata. Manage system resources including optimization of hosted web environment. Apply system and application software updates and monitor backup and restoration. Manage ArcGIS accounts, licenses, and monitor activity.
2. GIS Technical Guidance- Act as Emerald’s consultant and architect for GIS-related technologies to assess needs and provide recommendations and support of various geospatial activities occurring with in various departments. Participate in professional groups and meetings. Stay informed of new trends and innovations in the field of GIS and related systems. Work with IT and Systems Analyst staff on strategic technology solutions that will address existing issues, meet business needs, and/or support the long-term strategic plan.
3. Communication and Collaboration- Focus on developing strong working relationships with colleagues in order to gain trust and cooperation. Assist in developing other team members’ skillsets by acting as a mentor; this includes finding opportunities to empower them and providing guidance, support, and constructive feedback. Collaborate with end users and stakeholders to identify opportunities, increase efficiencies, and generate solutions. Present ideas, views, and project status updates in a clear and logical manner. Communicate with vendors and development partners in a professional manner and negotiate with tact. Provide exceptional service to both internal and external customers to help build Emerald’s brand as a trusted advisor and provider of choice.
4. Work Management- Embrace the culture of empowerment by using sound judgment, thoroughly reviewing and analyzing problems, making reasonable recommendations, and developing alternate solutions when necessary. Work independently and take ownership of assignments, following through to ensure projects and tasks are completed on time and in a thorough manner. Take initiative to solve problems and explore opportunities to increase efficiencies.
5. Perform other duties as assigned related to the job.
1. Ability to create, edit, and maintain a multi-user enterprise geodatabase according to industry best practices.
2. Experience with network modeling, if not electric, then water, gas, or traffic.
3. Ability to produce maps and reports to support utility staff.
4. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
5. Work independently with minimal supervision.
6. Exercise efficient time management, self-motivation, initiative, resourcefulness, and organization.
7. Use sound judgment when faced with problems.
8. Ability to work well in a team environment and collaborate across departments including peers, customers, and business partners.
9. Willing and able to learn new concepts and adopt alternative techniques within the rapidly changing utility industry.
1. Must have at least 5 years of GIS experience.
2. Must have at least 3 years of GIS administration experience.
3. Must have 3 years of experience using and administering ArcGIS Online.
4. Must have 3 years of experience using and administering ArcGIS Enterprise, including Server and Portal.
5. Must have 3 years of experience with ArcGIS Pro.
6. Experience with Feature Manipulation Engine (FME) Workbench is preferred.
7. Experience with Python scripting is preferred.
8. Experience with SQL is preferred.
1. Associate's degree in GIS or Geography is preferred, though long tenure in a GIS administration role may be accepted in place of the degree.
2. Certified GIS professional is preferred.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
1. Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
2. Use of office equipment where some agility and hand-eye coordination are needed.
3. Work environment can include shared work spaces and exposure to consistent or frequent noise from employee conversations.