Elmhurst College’s Skills for the Digital Earth MOOC (massive open online course) is a FREE, 4-week, online course designed to introduce how location technologies are used in society. Offered through Desire2Learn (D2L) Open Courses https://opencourses.desire2learn.com/cat/.
Registration Opens March 1
Run Dates: April 3 - April 30
Ever stop to think about how important location is when using your smart phone? This educational MOOC begins with an elementary explanation of how society uses location in a myriad of disciplines. Geography, or rather, "where?" is important to all of us from various perspectives.
Within this MOOC, participants will learn what location technologies are used for, how the discipline developed and learn by doing via a series of scaffolded practical exercises. Online spatial software will be employed for any device using a browser which takes users through exercises and real world examples. It is appropriate for those with no prior experience with geographic information systems (GIS) software all the way to advanced users.
In this course, participants will:
* Understand basic geographic concepts and be exposed to the geospatial workforce.
* Identify skills associated with the Geospatial Technology Competency Model (GTCM).
* Use geospatial tools and technology and apply some business fundamentals using GIS.
* Recognize employment opportunities in the geospatial industry.
* Use and interpret spatial data and data sources.
* Gain core geospatial abilities which are consistent with those of someone working in the geospatial industry.
Completing the Course
Upon successful completion of Modules 1-6, participants will be issued a certificate of completion. Upon successful completion of Module 7, participants will receive an additional certificate.
* Module 1-6’s certificate of completion may be used as a waiver to GIS 100 Introduction to Geospatial Technologies, the first course in the Online Undergraduate Certificate in Geographic Information Systems<http://www.elmhurst.edu/gis> at Elmhurst College.
* Module 1-7’s certificate of completion may be used as a waiver to AGS 500 Fundamentals of Geospatial Technologies, the first course in the Online Master’s Degree or Graduate Certificate in Applied Geospatial Sciences<http://www.elmhurst.edu/ags> at Elmhurst College.
For more information, and to register for the course, please visit: