Director of Geospatial Data Science Center @ East Carolina University (NC)Read Now
The Department of Geography, Planning, and Environment in the Thomas Harriot College of Arts and Sciences is offering a unique opportunity for an individual to lead and become the face of a newly evolving Geospatial Data Science Center. This individual will work closely with the Chair of the Department of Geography, Planning, and Environment, and The Division of Research, Economic Development, and Engagement, to develop a center that broadly serves the geospatial needs of ECU’s academic affairs and health sciences campuses, while guiding the center to become a hub for innovative solutions that assist residents in Eastern North Carolina (ENC). The candidate is expected to communicate, work, and interact with individuals in academia, federal, state and local government, industry and the citizens of NC. The expectation is this individual will develop an agile roadmap for bringing in funded research, developing transformative projects in ENC and beyond and eventually have the center be self-sufficient based on income from projects. Deliverables from the center should combine the latest geospatial technologies with customer/user-centric design and data-driven insights to consistently deliver information that can expand research, develop novel approaches in industry, and provide the necessary knowledge to guide community management and policy in ENC.
A successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the following areas:
1. To provide vision, leadership and strategic direction for the overall development and advancement of the Geospatial Data Science Center.
2. To cultivate donor relationships, coordinating fundraising processes and overseeing the authoring of proposals to a wide variety of funders.
3. To establish connections and guide quantitative and qualitative inquiries and projects with other researchers and students at ECU.
4. To seek out and execute consulting engagements for paying clients in the private, public and non-profit sectors with the goal of bringing about regional transformation.
5. To help produce projects that will lead to the successful development of tools that become essential to applied research and management and policies in eastern North Carolina.
6. To promote the efforts of the Geospatial Data Science Center via national media, industry conferences, research presentations, webinars, website, etc.
The direct link for the position is http://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/26772
(As of 8:00PM Eastern the link was not yet functional but I wanted to get the word out as we are planning to move this search along quickly and get the Director position in place by June 1).
Leave a Reply.