Sheer Ecology is seeking 1-2 technical assistants with skills in GIS, aquatic biology, or fisheries to work on spatial data projects related to watersheds, stream and landscape modeling, and field data integration. Timeframe is mid-April - August 1, though there is potential to extend through fall. It is part-time and by contract and does not include field work. Work can be done remotely (we are located in Spokane), though potential for a few in-person meetings is preferred. Tasks relate to stream restoration and habitat studies in the Columbia River headwaters in British Columbia and include GIS-related mapping and analysis, data management, web app development, technical writing, editing and research. Please see attached announcement for more information. I am looking for someone with strong technical skills in GIS and fisheries or aquatic ecology experience, but will also consider someone with a strong background in one or the other. To apply please send resume and letter of interest to Sheerecology@gmail.com by April 18th.
Aquatic Habitat Technical Assistance Position(s)
I am the owner of a small ecological consulting company in Spokane, Washington and looking for a biologist for contract work. Project work is centered on large-river fisheries, fish biology, aquatic biology and ecology in the Columbia Basin. Tasks include technical writing, editing and research related to aquatic biology and fisheries research, as well as GIS-related mapping and analysis, data management, web app development. If you have a strong fisheries and/or biology background or GIS skills (not both), please still apply. Timeframe: Mid-April - August 1 (sooner if available). Possibility for work to extend through fall 2022. This is part-time and as needed,
about 10-15 hours/per week through June (or can be based on contract details and deadlines as specified).
Geographic information, remote sensing and GIS assistance, may include:
○ Prepare ArcGIS Online maps; clean up and manage field data; run stream models and summaries, hydro network editing; georeferencing and mosaic imagery; develop and manage geodatabases; track down historical map and digital sources; develop web apps and maps to view, review, and disseminate aquatic information and data
Fisheries and aquatic biology research/technical writing - fisheries and aquatic biology
○ Summarize research papers; Prepare figures and graphs; Graphic design and development of conceptual models; Draft, write or edit report sections; Manage literature sources and citations for reports
● Minimum 5 years of aquatic or fisheries-related experience. Technical writing, editing, publishing. Salmon experience a plus, population modeling, knowledge of aquatic literature or hydrology.
● Minimum 3 years of GIS-related experience in web-based mapping for ecological or conservation projects. Familiarity with watershed data, hydrologic stream networks, and aquatic studies (and data) is a plus.
● Software knowledge (some of these): ESRI products, Python, ArcGISOnline, ArcGIS Pro, ArcMap, QGIS, image processing, R, Python, Excel, Access, Word, SQL
Rates are dependent on experience. Please submit a letter of interest and resume by April 11th.
As these are different skill sets and may be best filled by different applicants; please include
your strengths, areas of interest, and date available. Please send to Mindi Sheer
firstname.lastname@example.org or email me for more information.