What: GIS Analyst III
Who: Thurston County, WA
Salary: $5,426.00 - $7,236.00
Deadline: Friday, January 21, 2011
Where: Olympia, WA
GIS Analyst III
Brian Ferris, IT Technical Manager
(360) 786-5497 Ext. 6448
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The closing date for this announcement has been extended from December 23, 2010 to January 21, 2011. Those applicants who have already submitted an application packet need not re-apply. Candidates in this classification perform a range of Geographical Information System (GIS) tasks and assignments. This position will provide the highest level of technical expertise and work with staff and customers in a team setting for the support and enhancement of county GIS services. The position will specifically provide support for various county GIS systems and GIS support needs. Applicants must have excellent customer service and communication skills. The successful candidate will possess the following experience/skills: Experience with advanced management/administration of spatial and non-spatial data, including data modeling, data development and data maintenance; experience in Microsoft SQL version 2005 (or more recent) and ArcSDE and ArcGIS Server 9.3; advanced GIS analysis and business analysis skills in a broad range of business functions including but not limited to ESRI GIS products and processes; experience with specific geospatial tools including ETL, networked geodatabases and linear referencing; experience supporting customers with various experience levels including software installation/support for desktop products and troubleshooting complex GIS technical issues with related hardware and software; experience supporting GIS services and business needs in a multi-functional, multi-agency environment such as that found in county government; demonstrated success as part of a collaborative project and/or work environment; work history in a project management lifecycle environment; experience working with outside vendors and contractors; experience working with other agencies in support of data sharing agreements, coordination of grants, meeting technical grant requirements, or use of federal data standards where appropriate. Desirable: experience in developing and/or maintaining customized desktop applications, and Internet web-based mapping applications using development tools such as .NET or Silverlight.
Bachelor's degree in computer science, management information, engineering, geography, or related field. Additional experience, which demonstrates progressive increasing responsibilities, may substitute for education on a year for year basis. Experience must include a demonstrated knowledge of GIS software, hardware, data standards, concepts, programming, geoprocessing functions and techniques. Three years of experience with GIS mapping related field work or applied use of GIS technology. Current Washington State Driver's License or have requested and obtained an appropriate accommodation. Employment is contingent upon passing a security background investigation.
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with all levels within the organization. Ability to organize and prioritize work and maximize the utilization of computer resources. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships. Ability to train, organize, coach, mentor, and facilitate groups; $Ability to evaluate the work performance of staff. Ability to manage large, complex GIS projects from inception through completion. Ability to participate as a member of a self-directed work team and utilize the resources of other team members. Ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines, and manage many projects simultaneously.
To be considered for this position, please submit the following: Application
Letter of Interest
Submit application package to: Thurston County Information Desk, 2000 Lakeridge Dr. SW, Olympia, WA 98502. Application package must be received by 5 p.m. on the closing date listed above. Postmarks will not be accepted.
A separate application must be fully completed for each position for which you are applying. Resumes may be used to supplement an application, but may not be used in lieu of completing the application form. Copies of applications will be accepted only with an original signature. If a supplemental questionnaire is required, it must be submitted with your Thurston County application by the closing date. Applications are available online at http://www.co.thurston.wa.us at the Information Desk in Building 1 of the Thurston County Courthouse, 2000 Lakeridge Drive SW, Olympia, Washington 98502, or by calling (360) 754-3800 or TDD (360) 754-2933 to request that an application be mailed to you. Applicants selected for interviews and/or testing will normally be called or otherwise notified within two weeks following the closing date on the employment bulletin. If you do not receive notification during this time period, you should assume you were not selected to be interviewed and will not be considered further for this position. Due to the large number of applicants for most positions, unsuccessful applicants are generally not notified.
GIS ANALYST III
THURSTON GEODATA CENTER
Please answer these items on a separate page and submit with your Thurston County employment application.
1. Describe your experience with Geographic Information Systems and computer operating systems. Be specific to hardware, operating system and GIS software (ESRI products experience preferred). If you have ESRI experience, please specify ArcGIS ArcSDE, and other related GIS tools use experience.
2. Describe your highest level of GIS experience and capabilities. Be specific about number of years of experience. Include data capture, conversion and maintenance; analysis, products, application development, and training provided as appropriate. If you have ESRI experience, please specify your understanding of coverages and shape files, including troubleshooting problems with these data types and considerations converting between them.
3. Describe your experience in the development, implementation and maintenance of databases (e.g., Access, MS-SQL, ORACLE). Be specific about the number of years of experience. Please detail any experience integrating them with SDE. Please include your experience with QA/QC procedures for databases and GIS processes including the development and maintenance of meta data.
4. Describe your experience specific to a single job and/or project where you were directly involved from inception to full implementation of a complex GIS implementation/deliverable. Be specific regarding the tools and processes used and steps taken to ensure success.
5. Briefly summarize your GIS server/software installation, troubleshooting and maintenance experience.
For complete announcement, see: http://www.co.thurston.wa.us/hr/position-descriptions/GISAnalystIII012111.pdf
For more information about Thurston County employment, see: http://www.co.thurston.wa.us/hr