invites applications for the position of:
1456 - GIS Analyst (Geodatabase Analyst)
SALARY: $23.40 /Hour
OPENING DATE: 08/05/16
CLOSING DATE: 08/19/16 11:59 PM
This position, with emphasis on GIS Data/Database development, is in the Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation Department.
This classification designs and implements complex spatial-analytical models, products and services, including database management and thematic mapping, using Automated Mapping/Facilities Management and/or Geographic Information System (AM/FM/GIS) programs in a distributed relational database environment.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Performs or programs complex GIS analysis and processing tasks by using ARC Macro Language (AML), ARC/INFO routines and/or LISP programs and Visual Basic for Applications to produce complex reports, maps and related GIS products and services; Meets with service requestors of products or services to better define their needs or identify problems encountered; Leads other technical staff in the production of AM/FM/GIS and related products and services; Identifies data-linkage needs and develops software interfaces for data exchange among distributed databases; Creates and documents new and revised AM/FM/GIS systems applications, programs and data sets; Develops and/or implements quality control procedures for AM/FM/GIS programs, procedures, services and products; Coordinates, review and approves the work of other staff engaged in unique or complex AM/FM/GIS projects; Plans and sequences processing steps for database maintenance, automation and quality control; Participates with technical staff in hardware/software needs analysis and database design; Evaluates and makes recommendations to management for acquisition of computer hardware and software; Trains staff in AM/FM/GIS processing and database maintenance functions; May directly supervise staff.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
* principles, techniques and applications of AM/FM/GIS programming and analysis, geographic database management, cartographic illustration, computer-based graphics programs, and quality-control for information automation, maintenance, processing and display;
* AM/FM/GIS computer hardware, software and peripheral devices;
* performing and programming spatial analysis and/or queries with AM/FM/GIS or other software;
* programming language(s) appropriate to area of assignment;
* relational database design and application in a distributed processing environment;
* cartography, map-reading, geometry and mathematics;
* computer-based mapping and digitizing procedures;
* principles and practices of project planning and management;
* effective leadership, training and communication techniques.
* analyzing, designing, revising and documenting AM/FM/GIS systems applications, programs and databases;
* developing and applying quality control measures in a GIS environment;
* identifying, analyzing, and resolving problems/needs applicable to AM/FM/GIS systems;
* using appropriate programming language(s);
* operating and applying AM/FM/GIS computer hardware, software and peripheral devices;
* project planning, management and control;
* leading, training, and communicating effectively.
(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Automated Mapping/Facility Management (AM/FM), Computer Aided Drafting (CAD), remote sensing, cartography, geography, planning, landscape architecture, programming, computer science, management information systems.
(2) An Associate's or higher-level degree, diploma or certification from an accredited college, university, vocational or technical school in programming, Computer Aided Drafting (CAD), computer science, management information systems, cartography, geography or remote sensing AND two years of technical experience in the support and maintenance of a computerized AM/FM/GIS or CAD/CADD database, which included the production of maps, plats and cartographic reports, products and services.
(3) Four years of technical experience in the support and maintenance of a computerized AM/FM/GIS or CAD/CADD database, which included the production of maps, plats and cartographic reports, products and services.
(4) Two years of experience with Pima County as a Geographic Information Systems Technician.
1. Experience performing GIS analysis to solve problems (Esri package a must). Strong analytical/problem-solving skills are needed for this position.
2. Experience managing and organizing GIS data, including spatial data, attribute databases, data conversion, scanned documents, imagery and metadata.
3. Experience using/querying relational databases.
4. Experience with data quality review and formulating solutions.
5. Experience editing GIS data in various formats.
6. Experience making quality maps and map products.
7. Experience with programming data processing scripts and/or strong willingness to learn.
8. Experience with IT/GIS admin support (helping employees use/configure/order software and hardware).
Licenses and Certificates: Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Risk Management's review and approval of the candidate's driving record.
Special Notice Items: Some positions may require satisfactory completion of a personal background investigation, polygraph examination and/or pre-/post-appointment drug-testing by law enforcement agencies due to need for access to law enforcement, corrections or Courts facilities, property and associated confidential and sensitive information, documents, communications and database systems.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
150 W. Congress - 4th Floor
Tucson, AZ 85701
1456 - GIS ANALYST (GEODATABASE ANALYST) JJ