Based in Moscow, Idaho, the GIS Analyst will support Idaho Geological Survey (IGS) staff in grant related responsibilities and research including database creation and management, digital cartography, and geologic mapping. This position works closely with the IGS Director, Digital Mapping Lab (DML) Manager and other mapping lab staff. The position reports to the DML Manager and requires the development, implementation, and maintenance of GIS and non-spatial databases.
The position is a one-year appointment funded by the USGS-STATEMAP 2020 grant. Ongoing employment will be contingent upon funding.
Principal duties are: 1) supporting agency projects through GIS and database design and creative problem solving; 2) creating computer programs and scripts to assist with GIS projects; 3) GIS and other data management and maintenance including migrating and converting databases as necessary; 4) modeling of GIS data sets; and 5) creation of geologic maps in both GIS and vector graphic software.
Provide GIS support by:
Supporting projects through GIS and database design and creative problem solving; assisting geologic and mapping lab staff with map and GIS deliverables associated with USGS STATEMAP grants; creating computer programs and scripts to assist with GIS projects; migrating, converting, and maintaining GIS datasets; and assisting with updating and installation of technical software for staff computers.
Capture geologic map data digitally for both publication and regional database purpose by:
Using several software packages and hardware systems to aid in the map-making process and provide a high level of quality control to the data capture process; coordinating map making and data capture with geologic authors and in-house editor; attributing map objects as required by USGS model standards and protocols; making additions to map database tables; assisting in production of deliverables to complete USGS STATEMAP grants; and creating and compiling accurate metadata to comply with USGS and contracts standards.
Generate accurate and well-constructed geologic map publications by:
Using ArcGIS and Adobe Suite products to generate scientifically accurate and esthetically pleasing map layers; working with ArcGIS style files to manage layout of map polygons, symbols, and illustrations; and importing GIS-generated layers into Adobe Illustrator to build map layouts.
Contribute to the overall Survey mission by:
Providing general training to staff in the use of GIS, database, and applications as necessary; communicating regularly with staff and administration regarding in-house GIS and geologic digital data management; providing input to Survey staff for project and agency planning purposes; and writing documentation for various GIS and web procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in GIS, Geology, Earth and Environmental Sciences, or closely related field.
- Three years of applied GIS work experience. Up to 1 year of relevant education experience can be counted toward the work experience requirement.
- Experience in the application of ESRI Geographic Information Systems software including data analysis, modeling, geoprocessing, data capture, data conversion, relational database design, ArcGIS, and ArcGIS Online as applied in the geological sciences.
- Experience in GIS-related scripting languages, such as Python or Visual Basic, and willingness to learn more as needed.
- Experience in managing several projects concurrently.
- Editing and writing business correspondence and technical documents using proper grammar and punctuation as demonstrated in application materials.
- Experience explaining and presenting scientific content in large group and individual settings.
- Previous experience working at a State or Federal Geological Survey.
- Master’s degree in Geology or closely related field.
- Experience working with geological data.
- Working knowledge of GIS-based, web data delivery application techniques.
- Working knowledge of Windows-based computer systems, networks, and servers.
- Demonstrated ability to do Kriging and subsurface modeling.
- Proficient knowledge of geological mapping principles and skills.
- Knowledge of QA/QC techniques to assess the quality, accuracy, and content of spatial databases and GIS deliverable products and publications.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
- Ability to lift, carry and/or otherwise move equipment weighing up to 40 pounds.
Degree Requirement Listed degree qualification is required at time of application.
Leave a Reply.