GIS Data Processing Engineer - Mountain View, CA
Simply put, Google engineers make computers do amazing things. Populated by extraordinarily creative, motivated and talented people, our Engineering team gets excited by developing new applications that really make a difference and are used by millions of people. We're driven by Google's mission to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. If you seek to tackle such challenges as building a highly scalable computing infrastructure, novel storage systems, innovative user experiences or the next big application that will change the world, then this might be a perfect fit for you.
Job Description ("The role"):
Experienced GIS data-processing Engineer to develop software tools to process massive spatial datasets for use in Google products. In this critical position, you will be part of an exciting fast-paced project. You role will include working as a team with software engineers and GIS specialists to tackle challenging issues and improving existing processes. As a GIS Data Processing Engineer you have an interest in maps and aptitude for organizing spatial information.
1. Develop tools, software and processes to prepare vector and/or raster data
2. Create the framework and tools to shepherd data from acquisition through final deployment
3. Ensure all data has the proper metadata information via proper reporting from data scripts to database tools. 4. Develop software to convert data from one format to another
5. Build validation to ensure all data adheres to strict accuracy and quality specifications
6. Produce reports related to vector data. Evaluate, analyze and compare new data sources
1. BS/MS Computer Science/Engineering or GeoSciences (or equivalent)
2. Proven experience with Open GIS standards, file formats, tools (i.e. KML, GML, ERDAS Imagine, Adobe Photoshop, ESRI) and databases
3. Extensive experience with large code bases in C++, Python and/or Java
4. Experience working with large data sets and fluency with vector and/or raster data
5. Strong organizational and communication skills
Relocation is required for those who are not local - Telecommuting is not an option.
If interested, contact firstname.lastname@example.org