Geographic Info Systems 1 [Fixed Term]
*** This is a Fixed term role for one year***
Who you are:
• You love using technology of all types.
• You’ve been drawing maps before you could spell your own name.
• You know Geography should be a required subject in all schools.
• You took the same Geography course 3 times in a row, just for fun.
• Some people think peanut butter and jelly is the greatest pairing ever – You know Geography and Information Systems is the greatest pairing, EVER.
• Reading maps is not just a weekend hobby for you, its’s an art.
• You know that being flexible doesn’t just apply to Yoga class.
• You are so organized; they know you on first name basis at the Container Store\
What will I do as a GIS intern:
• You will have the opportunity to travel around campus [bike, golf cart, electric scooters] to view what the maps represent
• You will assist in developing the maps that everyone sees [staff, faculty, visitors]
• You will take data and digitize it into map information
• You will transfer hardcopy data into our database
• You will interact with multiple departments and build relationships
• As you discover new solutions to problems you will be able to share that knowledge with others by documenting it in our wiki and customer facing website
* Other duties may also be assigned
What we require:
• Background in information technology, programming, full stack exposure would be ideal
• Ability to quickly gain proficiency in new technologies
• Strong communication skills.
• A strong interest and background in GIS (geographic information systems) and location services
• Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments.
• Creative, Curious and Flexible.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
A little History on Stanford University and the IT Applications team
Since its founding more than a century ago, Stanford University has continued to find solutions to the great challenges of our time and to prepare our graduates for leadership roles in an increasingly complex world. Overarching a collective of ten departments, the Land, Buildings & Real Estate (LBRE) organization at Stanford supports the university in realizing these objectives. LBRE is committed to the preservation and enhancement of Stanford’s campus and adjoining lands and constructs and maintains facilities in which advancements across the academic spectrum is made possible. LBRE takes pride in the care and stewardship of the 8,100 acres that makes Stanford the special place that it is. We are “Caretakers of a Legacy.”
Land, Building, and Real Estate is seeking a candidate to fulfill a 1-year fixed term fellowship position to provide support to IT-Applications team. The position will be responsible for developing and supporting mapping applications and conducting spatial analysis tasks to support the operational core of Stanford University’s campus. This position provides an opportunity to gain hands-on experience working with GIS software and build essential professional skills in a business environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Some responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Develop Interactive mapping applications and supporting processes
• Support delivery GIS services to business users by providing training as well as outreach demos
• Create spatial data, maintenance location information, assign attribute data to spatial layers, and digitize map information
• Produce high-quality maps using ArcGIS for Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, and/or Adobe Illustrator with MAPublisher extension
• Compile geospatial data from a variety of sources including field observation, satellite imagery, aerial photographs, and existing maps
• Create and maintain metadata for 100+ data layers based upon existing standards
• Document GIS procedures in detail and in an organized format
Education and Experience
• Current student or recent graduate from a four-year college with major coursework in geography, computer science or closely related field of study
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Demonstrated knowledge of ESRI’s map production environment using ESRI products. ArcGIS for Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, and ArcGIS Online
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
• Demonstrated success in time management with the ability to prioritize tasks and projects
• Possess an enthusiasm for cartography and map production
• Creating and maintaining documentation in collaborative web based technology Google Docs and Google Sheets
• Some experience working with Spatial data
• Basic understanding of any scripting languages such as Python
• Knowledge of relational databases
• Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite or Adobe Creative Cloud software, particularly Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat Pro
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.