POSITION: GIS/Healthcare Analytics Internship
SALARY: $13-15 Hourly
TIMEFRAME: mid May – mid August 2012
HOURS: 30-40 hours per week
DESCRIPTION: Kaiser Permanente’s Utility for Care Data Analysis team is seeking a highly motivated student to help develop spatial analysis and reporting capabilities that support clinical, utilization, and community benefit decisions at varying levels of geography. We are looking for dynamic individuals who are interested in working within a health care environment with an emphasis on analytics.
KP’s Utility for Care Data Analysis (UCDA) was created in 2005 to ensure that analysts and researchers throughout Kaiser Permanente (KP) are able to fully realize the analytical potential of KP HealthConnect™ (KPHC) and other KP enterprise-level information systems to further KP’s mission: improving the health of our members and the communities we serve. We accomplish this by:
· Identifying and eliminating barriers that prevent analysts and researchers from effectively using data from KPHC and KP's other enterprise-level information systems
· Supporting collaboration among analysts and researchers within and across KP Regions
· Consolidating information and expertise to anticipate KP's future analytical requirements
· Partnering with KP-IT to ensure that KP’s information systems will support those requirements
· Conducting interregional reporting and analysis as requested by both Medical Group and Health Plan leadership
Projects and Responsibilities:
· Community Health Needs Assessment – Generate reports to describe demographics,
· socioeconomics, health needs, and health resources for communities that KP serves.
· Proof of Concept Mapping Environment – Manage spatial data and configure web maps to communicate business-relevant content effectively.
· Proof of Concept GIS Server Environment – Configure web services and develop spatial analytics to support GIS analysts across KP.
· Currently pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree in GIS, geography, urban and regional planning, social sciences or computer science; 3.0 GPA or above.
· Practical experience and/or coursework in GIS applications for population-based reporting and analysis
· High comfort level with technology and experience with technical aspects of spatial data management
· Effective verbal and written communication skills.
· Analytical and detail oriented.
· Advanced knowledge of ArcGIS applications, including ModelBuilder/Geoprocessing for data management and spatial analytics, ArcGIS Server, and ArcGIS Online
· Experience configuring web maps
· Demonstrated cartographic skills
· Experience in analytical environments such as SAS, SPSS, or R.
· Working knowledge of MS Office Suite and relational databases
· Proven technical research, writing, and editing skills to generate project summaries, draft documents, conduct topic specific research
Contact: Katie Clift
Utility for Care Data Analysis
Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Program Offices
500 NE Multnomah St, Portland, OR 97232
firstname.lastname@example.org | 503-381-3630