City of Vernonia, Oregon
GIS Intern Position
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 4:00 P.M. Wednesday August 4, 2010
This position involves many aspects of developing a functional GIS, including the following:
• Perform general GIS functions, including creating GIS data; collecting and inputting attribute data;
performing data management and geospatial analysis; creating maps and reports.
• Work with city staff and consultants to develop GIS functionality needed to assist the Public
Works Department with inventorying, grading and maintaining the city’s utility infrastructure.
• Work independently to research GIS functionalities pertaining to utility infrastructure, public works
functions and make recommendations to the city about developing and deploying new
• Create document templates and forms pertaining to the operation of the GIS.
• Develop and set up scheduling pertaining to utilities, e.g. water meter replacement schedule, etc.
• Provide GIS education to city staff on the use of the GIS.
To be considered for this position applicants must possess the following:
• At minimum, a 4 year degree in geography, planning or similar discipline which included GIS
• Proficiency with ESRI products, including ArcMap and ArcCatalog.
• Ability to produce maps and reports with ArcMap.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, specifically Word and Excel.
• Ability to work in the field collecting data, and to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Ability to effectively collaborate with city staff and consultants.
The following skills are desired but not necessary:
• An understanding of HTML (HyperText Markup Language).
• An understanding of XML (Extensible Markup Language).
The intern can expect to gain the following:
• Real world experience using and developing a GIS.
• Experience with ESRI’s ArcGIS Server and web based mapping and GIS applications.
• Experience working for a municipal government.
This is an unpaid internship with a $2250 a month living expense stipend, having a duration of nine
months. Interested individuals should submit a resume via mail or in person to:
1001 Bridge Street
Vernonia, OR 97064
The envelope should be clearly marked GIS Internship. Resumes received or postmarked after 4:00 PM
Wednesday August 4, 2010 will not be accepted. Finalists will be contacted for an in-person or telephone
Questions concerning this internship can be directed to Ben Fousek at email@example.com.