Lead position for all GIS activities in San Juan County. Performs advanced-level professional GIS mapping, long-range planning, and engineering work for County departments and coordinates GIS activities for county-wide GIS enterprise. Leads a team of professional and technical staff in ensuring a stable and accessible GIS platform, and in improving the GIS functionality. Work is highly technical and is performed in a collegial manner, under the direct supervision of the IS/IT Manager
1. Develops, implements and maintains computerized GIS data bases for County Departments and agencies. Serves as data library steward, managing the flow and dissemination of cartographic (map) output.
2. Plans and directs the GIS enterprise projects for County agencies. Works with other departments, agencies and users to assess current functionality, determine what is needed to improve GIS services provided, as well as additional services. Collaborates with other County agencies, utilities, private sector businesses, non-profits, and Town, State and Federal governments to develop and establish policies related to community use of GIS data and cartographic outputs.
3. Develops short- and long-range goals and objectives for the County’s GIS system, conducting research, reviewing and analyzing programs and technologies, formulating recommendations, and implementing strategies and solutions for GIS applications. Prepares management reports related to the development and implementation of these strategic and tactical plans. Long range tasks include such projects as:
· Development of an Electronic Road Log
· Right of Way Map System
· Creation and revision of complex computerized mapping projects,
· Conversion of paper and/or digital data into the County’s GIS format
· Other infrastructure management systems
4. As the lead, prepares and monitors the IT/IS Department’s GIS budget and manages consultant service agreement contracts and task orders.
5. Provides technical guidance to GIS staff and users.