Archbold Biological Station will be posting a job opportunity in the coming weeks for a Research Assistant in the GIS lab working primarily in the drone program.
To apply, please submit your Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The position will remain open until filled.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
• Collect spatial datasets using an unmanned aerial vehicle to support ongoing research activities at Archbold Biological Station and Buck Island Ranch
• Provide input to researchers on data products and collection methods for projects
• Assist with offsite UAV data collection
• Perform other necessary field data collection to ensure accuracy of UAV datasets
• Manage and document all planned flights in accordance with any regulations and standard operating procedures
• Perform all processing steps needed to produce a final mosaicked images and perform basic analyses or advise researchers on analyses that could be done.
• Continue to research emerging technologies and make recommendations for future purchases.
Other GIS Laboratory
• Maintain, calibrate, and deployment tracking and oversight of all lab electronic equipment (UAVs, Trimble GPS, etc)
• Assist in other activities in the GIS lab as needed, including but not limited to support in spatial analysis, map making, setting up mobile field data collection apps.
• Assist in other activities happening at Archbold
Required Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Biology, GIS or related field.
• Experience with ESRIs ArcGIS software, including ArcGIS online
• Experience working with high resolution imagery
• Must obtain FAA part 107 remote pilot license within 1 month of employment
• Experience working with UAVs
• Remote pilot license
• Experience with ESRIs Drone2Map software, or other software for stitching together drone imagery
• Experience analyzing high resolution remote sensing data
• Experience working with electronic equipment