How does excellent benefits, every other Friday off and working with a great team sound? The City of West Linn is hiring a GIS Specialist with these benefits and more! This position performs a variety of work related to the technical aspects and computer applications of geographic information systems (GIS) and asset management systems. This position has responsibility to work with all utilities to develop and maintain GIS and asset management systems in order to provide for the sustainability of the City’s utility infrastructure as well as other related tasks as assigned.
Examples of Duties
(An employee in this classification may perform any of the following duties; however, these examples do not include all the specific tasks that an employee may be expected to perform)
1. Contributes to a positive work environment.
2. Maintains a positive relationship with contacts specific to them and positions outside the City organization.
3. Identifies GIS and asset management needs and works closely with others to develop databases for managing and tracking information. Evaluates information and problem solves any irregularities and either takes corrective action as necessary or makes recommendations as to corrective action.
4. Reviews and prepares maps and geographic record materials for entry into databases and uses customized software to enter/maintain GIS and asset management data sets and maps.
5. Provides technical support and training to other staff in the use of strategic business software by researching and evaluating solutions to user needs; makes recommendations and advises system users for technical support.
6. Utilizes GPS equipment with expertise in GPS data collection to facilitate maintenance of infrastructure inventory databases for all utilities: water, storm, sewer, streets, and other infrastructure. This includes work outdoors to inspect and gather data related to various infrastructure assets, including but not limited to manholes, inlets, valves, hydrants and signs.
7. Provides technical graphics, mapping and documentation. Creates and updates graphs, spreadsheets, charts and other related technical documents.
8. Establishes and maintains data and pertinent records; prepares statistical and narrative reports to assist all utilities in asset grouping, routine and preventative maintenance scheduling, replacement schedules, activity based costing, task management, historical trends analysis and other reports as needed, tracks and closes out service requests and work orders as needed.
9. Develops safe work habits and contributes to the safety of self, co-workers and the general public. Performs assigned duties during emergency situations. Performs other duties as required.
i) Requires Associate’s Degree in computer science, geography, geographic information systems, or related fields. Qualifications must include a working knowledge of ESRI GIS software and computer databases (preferably including asset management data). Requires knowledge of tabular information and mathematics as they relate to GIS project work and competency in data documentation.
i) Experience with file management and text editing, operation of personal computers/tablets, word processing and spreadsheet software, GPS hardware, plotters and/or other peripherals.
ii) Requires effective communication orally and in writing and the ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with staff in City Departments.
iii) Must have a valid driver's license at time of appointment.
Received: Receives general direction from the GIS Coordinator, who assigns tasks and outlines general projects and procedures. Often performs work highly independently once work assignments are received. The Assistant City Engineer supervises performance to ensure compliance with established procedures, regulations and all personnel policy requirements.
Exercised: Supervision of others is not a normal responsibility of positions in this classification.
Requires frequent communication with department staff and supervisor.
4) Cognitive Functions:
Demonstrated ability to evaluate complex datasets and to effectively communicate with city staff resulting in accuracy and consensus.
5) Working Conditions:
Majority of work is performed in an office setting, however, field data collection and staff support will require work in adverse conditions include working around heavy equipment, sewer manholes and catch basins, and exposure to seasonal weather changes including working in inclement weather. Requires moderate physical effort, use of survey/GPS equipment and City vehicles. Has normal business hours.
6) Resource Accountability:
Position is responsible to assist the GIS Coordinator in the proper maintenance of GIS and asset management computer systems and the maintenance and storage of maps, drawings, charts and other related records.
May commit City resources of up to $500 with the verbal approval of supervisor.
Responsible for the proper care of City equipment.
The job classification description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The City of West Linn is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace. Some positions require pre-employment drug testing, passing a medical exam and/or a police background check. Job related reference checks will be conducted prior to employment being offered.
EEO Policy: The City of West Linn is committed to equal employment opportunity as a way to recruit, hire, and retain the most qualified employees. Moreover, it is the intent of the City to actively support and comply with local, state and federal law. Accordingly:
We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.
Veterans Preference: The City of West Linn provides qualifying veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment in accordance with state law. Any candidate wishing to have their qualifying veteran's preference applied to the process must submit a qualifying document (DD Form 214 or 215) at the time of application, providing proof of eligibility that includes discharge status. Disabled veterans must also submit a copy of their Veteran's disability preference letter from the US Department of Veterans Affairs at the time of application, unless the information is included in the DD Form 214 or 215.
Leave a Reply.