Geographic Information System Specialist, Portland, OR #109322 - PORTLAND, OR, US, 97232
Date: Nov 18, 2022
Location: PORTLAND, OR, US, 97232
JOIN OUR TEAM
The GIS Specialist position ensures that As-Builts are mapped into the facility and GIS based connectivity mapping systems after construction completes. As well as providing support on various data cleanup projects. Responsible for updating the mapping and connectivity systems using redlines and other information that comes back from the field, engineering, or dispatch. Position requires a good understanding of electrical distribution systems or other utility network based systems in addition to a strong knowledge of distribution utility design and GIS fundamentals.
• Use Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and custom applications to create, collect, compile, configure, transform, and maintain data that serves a variety of purposes.
• Post map changes as instructed by field-completed drawings and as-builts.
• Maintain complete records of the Company's distribution electrical assets.
• Work to ensure departmental data quality and work productivity goals are met.
• Maintain the electrical connectivity network within the GIS applications by ensuring complete network traceability from the substation to the end customer.
• Generate maps; read and interpret electrical utility asset and connectivity maps to enter, edit, and update spatial and tabular data.
• Maintain the accuracy of the GIS database(s) and technical files and documentation.
• Work with design estimators and engineers to resolve design as-built connectivity discrepancies.
• Coordinate with Operations managers, estimators, and service coordinators to resolve data issues.
• Develop and maintain operational and procedural documentation.
• Deliver accurate and timely resolution to daily production issues by troubleshooting and providing effective and timely solutions.
• Interpret engineering designs, plans, plat maps and legal descriptions to automate, update, and correct map data; conduct mapping research in the field and office.
• Complete digitizing, spatial data editing, attribute editing, data validation and maintenance of digital infrastructure spatial data and related attribute information.
• Analyze data and perform QC/QA related activities, engineering standards enforcement, data validation, cartography, check plots, etc.
• Prepare plans, material lists and drawings for both capital and maintenance work.
• Prepare as-built drawings for emergency work and designs performed by third parties.
• Perform queries against drawings to create specialty maps as requested.
• Provide alternatives and recommendations to internal and external customers.
• Assist with project driven data development and asset mapping projects.
• Investigate and reconcile mapping discrepancies between retired mapping system and active mapping system.
• Utilize productivity tools to efficiently navigate to and to edit features.
• Technical certification or equivalent in drafting, GIS, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Have demonstrated experience using ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro to maintain and manage utility data and/or linear network systems.
• At least 3 year of related experience working in a fast paced, high volume data production environment using CAD and/or GIS.
• Knowledge of utility engineering specifications and drawings, established drafting and design techniques.
• Knowledge of current technologies, tools, systems, and vendors.
• Understanding of company policies, practices, and procedures.
• Ability to effectively translate technical jargon into layman’s terms.
• Communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to consult and resolve internal and external customer issues.
• Ability to work with all levels of an organization including people with different styles and backgrounds; ability to work as a member of a team.
• Bachelor’s degree in Geographic Information System (GIS), Natural Resources, Geography or a related field; or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience with ArcGIS
• Experience with ArcFM
• Knowledge of basic electrical distribution power systems
• Understanding of utility connectivity
• Experience with/understanding of electrical one lines, schematics, panel schedules, etc.
Primary Location: PORTLAND
Department: Pacific Power
Schedule: FULL TIME
Personnel Subarea: Non-Exempt
Hiring Range: $57,600-$67,800