GIS Student Intern
TriMet is seeking an Intern to assist in improving Open Street Map for the Portland Metro regional area to support routing applications such as the Open Trip Planner (opentripplanner.com) and the Intertwine Project. Metro regional datasets and digital aerial photography will be use as reference for digitizing and conflation purposes using editing tools such as Potlatch, MapZen, Quantum, or the ArcGIS 10 OSM Editor.
Office/Location: TriMet Administrative Offices – 4012 SE 17th Avenue,Portland, OR 97202
Work Hours: 20 - 40 hours per week
Duration: 12 weeks
Anticipated Starting Date: November 22, 2010
• Utilize tools such as Potlatch, MapZen, Quantum, or the ArcGIS 10
OSM Editor for Open Street Map editing purposes.
• Utilize existing RLIS data and aerial photography as reference for spatial and attribute correction. The RLIS data includes, bike paths,street centerline file, waterways, parks and trails.
• Use conflation routines and editing tools to create coincident geometry between the RLIS datasets and Open Street Map.
• Incorporate additional files and attributes such as address point files, building footprints.
• Project and task documentation may be required.
• Currently enrolled in Undergraduate or Graduate level work in Geographic Information Systems, Geography, Computer Science, or other related fields at an accredited college or university.
• Knowledge of basic GIS principles
• Ability to adapt quickly to new software and tools
• Ability to work independently
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Experience with Open Street Map editing tools are preferred, but not required.
• Good communication skills and ability to write clearly and concisely
• Ability to perform detailed work accurately
• Familiarity with Portland -Metro region and data
• Undergraduate or Masters candidate in good academic standing
• Ability to, after employment, submit proof of your legal right to work in the United States
• Submit your resume
• A cover letter that includes describing the applicant’s objectivesand motivations in seeking this internship
• A list of completed course work and associated grades that would be applicable to this internship
• Letters of recommendation will be accepted but are not required.
Submit all material to:
Human Resources –
Attention: Angela Burns-Brown, Human Resources Manager
4012 SE 17th Avenue
Portland, OR 97202 or at (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The internship is paid, at an hourly rate of $12.00. Closing Date:
November 5, 2010
TriMet is an Equal Opportunity Employer