GIS Technician – Temporary
Swinomish Indian Tribal Community
SALARY: $13-$15+/hr, DOE
CLOSES: Open until filled, applications considered beginning April 1, 2018
SCHEDULE & DATES: Three months full-time (40 hours/week) with the possibility of an
additional three months, or 20 hours/week part time equivalent, or combination depending on successful candidate’s availability. See below for working hours.
The GIS Intern assists the GIS Program with various GIS projects related to land management, environmental protection, resource management, and planning. This is a temporary part-time position based in the Swinomish Land Management Department, and is supervised by the GIS Coordinator. Work schedule is flexible within business hours but full-time is preferred. Business hours are Mon/Wed 8am-6pm, Thurs 8am-5:30pm.
REPRESENTATIVE ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list is intended only to illustrate the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position.
• Tasks include data input, include updating and improving existing datasets with current data, assistance with file reorganization, data analysis, map output, and creation of metadata.
• Must be willing and available to perform fieldwork-e.g. along the shoreline, into forested areas, along roads, etc.
• Other tasks include maintenance of existing databases and manual entry of coordinate geometry from survey documents and other legal records into cadastral datasets.
Because of the Tribe’s commitment to community service and the well-being of its members, each employee may be expected to perform a wide range of office and field duties from time to time. Such duties may or may not be related to their regular responsibilities.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Minimum education requirements: High School Diploma or GED and some college coursework in GIS or related field, such as geography or computer science.
• Must have some formal GIS education, or have introductory GIS experience.
• Experience using a computer and spreadsheet programs, and data entry.
• Experience with ESRI’s desktop GIS software (ArcGIS).
• Physical ability to work in the field including wading in streams, wetlands, forests, and at beaches during all weather conditions as well as work in an office setting;
• Familiarity with stormwater related issues preferred.
• Attention to detail is a must.
• Motivated to learn.
• Ability to complete projects within specified timeframes.
• Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information.
• Current and valid Washington State Driver’s License.
The Personnel Policies and Procedures of the Swinomish Tribal Community apply to all employees. Employees in this classification are considered temporary.
• To obtain an application: Go to: http://www.swinomish-nsn.gov/resources/humanresources.aspx or call 360-466-1216 or e mail firstname.lastname@example.org;
• Include a cover letter identifying why you feel you are qualified for this position;
• Include the completed Swinomish Tribal Community application form; do not write, “See
resume” on the application; professional and/or scholastic references only; and,
• Return cover letter, resume, and application to Alethia Edwards, Human Resources Director, as soon as possible.
Swinomish Tribal Community
11404 Moorage Way, La Conner, WA. 98257
Fax number: 360-466-1348