Position: GIS Technician/Analyst
Location: Portland, Oregon
Maul Foster & Alongi, Inc. (MFA) is a locally owned Pacific Northwest consulting firm specializing
in the areas of environmental science, engineering, planning, landscape architecture, and GIS. Since
our inception in 1996, MFA has grown from four employees to more than 50 employees, with
offices in Portland, Oregon, and in Vancouver, Seattle, and Bellingham, Washington. We are
approaching our 15th year of providing services to a diverse client base that includes private
business and industry, ports, municipalities, and Native American tribes. We are committed to a
better planned and well designed future.
MFA is actively seeking a full-time GIS technician/analyst for our Portland, Oregon, office. The
successful candidate will be responsible for providing GIS technical support and GIS task
management for environmental, engineering, and planning projects. Primary duties include assisting
with day-to-day GIS project tasks for company projects, including GIS data management, collecting,
analyzing, and mapping geographic data, and creating cartographic products for display and reports.
• BA/BS degree from a U.S. accredited college or university in geography, environmental
studies/science, planning, or related field. A minimum of 12 credit hours in GIS-specific
courses is also required. Please provide a list of completed GIS coursework.
• One to five years of work experience as a GIS Technician or Analyst.
• Competence in working with ESRI’s ArcGIS Desktop suite (ArcMap, ArcCatalog,
ArcToolbox) and extensions (i.e., Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst). Ability to perform GIS
data conversion/editing, spatial analysis/reporting tasks, spatial database management, and
GIS map production.
• Experience working with AutoCAD data within the ArcGIS Desktop environment.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Access.
• Proven organizational and problem-solving skills, as well as attention to detail.
• Must be able to formulate and clearly communicate ideas, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to work both independently with little guidance and within a collaborative group
• Willingness to work overtime as needed.
Desired Skills and Abilities
• Experience in working with ESRI’s ArcGIS Server products or experience with other
applicable Web design products.
• Experience in programming (e.g., java, VBA, ArcObjects, python, Adobe flex).
• Experience in database management systems (e.g., SQL).
• Knowledge of additional ESRI extensions (e.g., Network Analyst, Business Analyst,
• Proficiency in Adobe Design suite of products and the ability to integrate them with ESRI.
Salary & Benefits:
• Compensation will be based on individual qualifications and experience.
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
• 401(k) Plan.
• Paid time off.
• Training and development opportunities.
How to Apply:
To be considered for the position, please send a cover letter and resume via email with the subject
heading GIS Technician/Analyst Position, addressed to:
Maul Foster & Alongi, Inc.
7223 NE Hazel Dell Avenue, Suite B
Vancouver, WA 98665