NHD Data Analyst/Cartographer | WA Dept of Ecology | Lacey, WA
GIS Job Opportunity with Dept of Ecology -- LiDar related!
The GIS Unit at WA Dept. of Ecology has an exciting job opportunity to update our Puget Sound shorelines from LiDAR.
Visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/2703310/nhd-data-analyst-cartographer-it-data-management-entry and search for NHD Data Analyst/ Cartographer to view the full advertisement and application.
NHD Data Analyst/ Cartographer (IT Data Management Entry)
Agency Mission: Ecology's mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington's environment and to promote the wise management of our air, land and water for the benefit of current and future generations. What you will do in this position: Serves as a Data Analyst/Cartographer capable of working independently of direct supervision in support of the development and maintenance of the National Hydrography Dataset (NHD) for Washington State. Tasks include:
• Work with field staff, local government, and stakeholders to compile a list of stream course, shoreline and watershed boundary edits required in the project area.
• Identify and obtain ancillary data to help properly identify the water features which meet the minimum criteria for adding to the database.
• Use the NHD Geo Edit Tool to add, edit, and delete hydrography features and attribute data.
• Use the Hydrography Event Management (HEM) Tool to add, edit, and delete point and linear event data associated with the NHD database.
• Automate repetitive and/or complex tasks using the Python programming language including the testing and debugging of the programs.
• Develop quality assurance procedures and production integration processes.
• Create and maintain documentation of procedures and workflows.
• Develop map products to accurately display the rich content of the NHD to interested parties.
• Assist the NHD Team Lead to work with agency staff and external stakeholders in defining and prioritizing requirements, analyzing customer service and needs, and provide information to clients on the capabilities and limitations of the NHD system.
• Publish hydrography feature services to AGOL for use by field staff.
Serves as a GIS Analyst for adhoc agency GIS projects.
• Performs spatial analysis projects for agency and external clients requiring working knowledge of ArcGIS software, GIS database fundamentals, spatial data concepts of accuracy, coordinate reference system, and map scale.
• Creates and edits geospatial datasets and associated tabular data.
• Designs and builds cartographic map products for reports and public display.
• Provides assistance with the implementation of GIS technology and programming to streamline data automation and conversion efforts.