CITY OF SAMMAMISH POSITION DESCRIPTION
POSITION TITLE: Parks and Recreation Intern
DEPARTMENT: Parks and Recreation
REPORTS TO: Deputy Director
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
SALARY RANGE: $10.00 - $15.00/hour DOE
Works under the supervision of the Deputy Director to provide varied support services to the park planning staff. The applicant will be required to work in a team setting, communicate clearly, and work with minimal supervision and instruction.
HOURS AND DURATION
20 to 30 hours per week, hours vary on an “as-needed” basis. Flexibility and consideration will be given for academic pursuits. This position is funded through December 31, 2010.SUPERVISION RECEIVED
Works under the general supervision of the Deputy Parks Director or his or her designee.
None.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Support planning staff with data analysis and management.
· Provide AutoCAD drafting and printing.
· Assist with research and database management through GIS.
· Assist staff members with public outreach and field work.
· Attend staff meetings and other meetings as instructed.
· Prepare written materials to include reports as needed for assigned tasks.
· Provide quality customer service.
· Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, ArcGIS, and AutoCAD.
· Plant materials including plants native to the Pacific Northwest, landscape architectural site design, storm water concepts, and site grading.Skills / Abilities:
· Conducting research; preparing, organizing and maintaining records, spreadsheets, files and relational databases; analyzing data and preparing data summaries.
· Communicating effectively both orally and in writing.
· Establishing effective working relationships with City employees, consultants, and the general public.
· Ability to work cooperatively with other staff.
· Ability to handle multiple requests for assistance in an organized manner.
· Ability to work flexible hours.
· Good vision or corrective lenses.
· Ability to pass a driving record check and a thorough background check as required by the Child/Adult Abuse Information Act.
Enrolled in college/university with junior standing or above. Prefer course work or pursuit of a degree in landscape architecture or a related field. Must possess and maintain a valid Washington State driver’s license.
Most work is performed in an office environment; however, fieldwork outdoors may be required. Fieldwork may include but is not limited to: exposure to traffic and inclement weather, climbing/hiking through creeks, vegetation and across terrain, crouching, kneeling, walking over rough and uneven surfaces, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Completed City of Sammamish application is required. Must have graduated from high school or received GED equivalent. Good driving record and possession of a valid Washington State Driver’s license, or ability to obtain one within a month, is required. Must comply with all State Department of Labor and Industries Employment Standards Program regulations. If under the age of 18, must complete parent authorization form. Ability to conform to drug and alcohol testing requirements under the federal Omnibus Transportation Employee Testing Act of 1991. Applicants may be subject to pre-employment physical examinations. Proper documentation to fulfill the requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act within (3) days of employment with the City of Sammamish.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the City and the employee, and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the City and the requirements of the job change over time.
THE CITY OF SAMMAMISH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER