Research Specialist 3
West Virginia Division of Natural Resources
738 Ward Road
Elkins, West Virginia 26241
The West Virginia Division of Natural Resources (WVDNR) plans to fill a Research Specialist 3 position in the Elkins Operations Center in Randolph County. This notification is being circulated to inform prospective applicants of this opportunity and allow applicants to submit application materials to the West Virginia Division of Personnel (WVDOP). If you are not already a WV State Employee, you must be on the WVDOP register to be considered for this position.
The position serves as a Research Specialist in the Technical Support Program of the Wildlife Resources Section with state wide responsibilities. This is a multi-disciplinary position that includes analysis of biological and social data. Knowledge of human dimensions of wildlife resources and survey experience are a plus.
Location: Elkins Operations Center
738 Ward Road
Elkins, WV 26241
Salary: $35,028 to $64,812
Deadline: August 15, 2018
Minimum Qualifications: (Applicants must meet these to qualify for register placement)
TRAINING: Master Degree from a regionally accredited college or university in mathematics, statistics, sociology, psychology, political science, evaluation research, behavioral science, criminology, or related social science.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under limited supervision of the Technical Support Program supervisor, performs advanced level technical and analytical tasks of a quantitative and qualitative nature in the area of natural resources disciplines involving research, statistics, and database management. Serves as a principal investigator on federally funded projects. Provides analysis and research support for state-level planning and database management. Applies established theory related to data analysis and management to research and management projects. Plans, develops, designs, coordinates, reviews, and analyzes complex research projects. This is an advanced level position where the work requires the development and adoption of non-standard procedures. Maintains statewide natural resources databases for all units within the Wildlife Resources Section. The employee will possess considerable latitude to accomplish tasks. Preference may be given to individuals that possess a strong background in statistics. Performs related work as required. Regular attendance is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of research design and methodology, survey instrumentation, and sampling methods. Knowledge of mathematics and statistical methods and techniques, including forecasting and simulation techniques.
• Knowledge of database management and statistical software programs including but not limited to Microsoft Access, Excel, and SPSS.
• Knowledge of the basic rights of human subjects in research and the institutional review board process.
• Knowledge of the sources of data and methods of obtaining data.
• Ability to design and implement complex research and evaluation studies, apply research methodology, perform appropriate statistical analyses and interpret results.
• Ability to produce and present complex data collection, analysis procedures, and research findings in written reports and oral presentations.
• Ability to plan and execute research projects.
• Ability to conduct comprehensive literature reviews to support research.
• Ability to prepare research reports for publications using professional publishing software programs such as Acrobat Pagemaker/InDesign, Acrobat Illustrator, or Microsoft Publisher.
• Ability to manage multiple research and/or evaluation projects simultaneously at different stages of development.
• Ability to fully investigate the utility and accuracy of data sources.
• Ability to express ideas effectively orally and in writing.
• For more information regarding this position you may contact Zack Brown at (304) 558-2771 (ext. 51841) or by email at Zack.J.Brown@wv.gov
• For information regarding application procedures you may contact the West Virginia Division of Personnel at (304) 558-3950 or at http://www.personnel.wv.gov
• This vacancy will be advertised both inside and outside of state government.
• Non-government applicants must submit a state job application and required documentation (transcripts, certifications, etc.) required for the Research Specialist 3 position.
1. Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/wv/jobs/1817650/research-specialist-3
2. Click the “Apply” link located on the right side of the page next to the Print Job Information link.
3. The first time you do this you will be asked to create an account and an application.
4. Make sure your application is completely filled out and your qualifications are detailed.
5. To be considered for this job opportunity, you must submit a copy of an official transcript or diploma to the WVDOP before the closing date for this job posting (if you have not already done so.) This can be attached to your application online or submitted via e-mail to email@example.com
• Interested applicants should submit their applications online as soon as possible.
• All applications for this position will be reviewed within one to two weeks after the closing date. Qualifying applicants will be placed on the Division of Personnel register for this position.