River Design Group, Inc. (RDG) seeks a river restoration technician / GIS specialist for our
Corvallis, Oregon office. RDG is an interdisciplinary consulting firm that focuses on the analysis, design and implementation of stream, river, floodplain and wetland restoration projects throughout the Pacific Northwest. The ideal candidate will possess strong field, office, and remote sensing skills with a demonstrated background in the application of hydrological and biological principles to river and floodplain restoration projects.
• BS degree in Fluvial Geomorphology, Fisheries Biology, Stream Ecology, Geography, or
Natural Resources field, MS preferred.
• Minimum of two years of related experience.
• Complete field work in support of stream assessments, river/floodplain restoration
design, and restoration project effectiveness monitoring including surveying, data
collection and reconnaissance to document site conditions.
• Process field data into digital and spatial data form and produce data summary reports.
• Support project design staff with a diverse range of spatial data needs including
digitizing, editing, clipping, and transforming remote sensing data.
• Complete spatial data analyses using multiple datasets to determine or predict
anticipated project outcomes.
• Prepare report figures, maps, and exhibits summarizing stream assessments, hydraulic
modeling output, and effectiveness monitoring results.
• Participate in technical writing assignments including literature review, research, and
authoring sections of documents.
• Participate in the design of river restoration and floodplain projects by working
collaboratively with an interdisciplinary design team consisting of engineers,
hydrologists, ecologists, modelers and project managers.
• Present technical work to peers, clients, and project stakeholders.
• Excellent oral communication, technical writing and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated proficiency in GIS software including experience working with ArcMap,
ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox, and 3D Analyst and Spatial Analyst extensions.
• Experience in remote sensing techniques including LiDAR data processing, air photo
interpretation, raster and vector-based analysis, coordinate system transformations.
• Demonstrated proficiency in the application of field surveying techniques including GPS,
total station, pebble counts, discharge measurements, etc.
• Ability to manage time independently and determine the appropriate level of effort to
complete tasks within scope, schedule, and budget constraints.
• Excellent data management skills including proficiency with Microsoft Excel. Knowledge
and/or proficiency in Access desirable.
• Ability to prepare, edit and format documents using Microsoft Word.
• Knowledge of river restoration, river mechanics, and sediment transport.
• Experience with flow and sediment measurement.
• Field surveying experience utilizing both GPS and conventional techniques, experience
or familiarity with UAVs desirable.
• Ability to work in a wide range of field conditions and travel out of town frequently on a
weekly basis during field season.
• Experience with both motorized and non-motorized watercraft a plus.
This position is a full-time, salaried position with a typical 40-hour work week. Salary range is $45,000 to $60,000 and will be established based on qualifications and experience. RDG offers employer-paid medical and dental insurance, a 401k retirement plan, paid vacation time and paid fitness club membership. For consideration, please respond to this posting with a resume and cover letter.
Please email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Position open until filled