This position is located in the Construction and Facilities Management Office (CFMO), Environmental Management Office (EMO), Idaho Army National Guard (IDARNG), functioning within the State of Idaho – Military Division. The primary purpose of this position is to provide support to the GIS Program Manager in the collection and processing of geospatial information on Idaho Army National Guard (ARNG) training lands. Appointment is projected for one summer field season and may involve irregular hours worked on weekends and/or evenings.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Works as team member. Under supervision collects or creates geospatial data using a variety of techniques as assigned. Properly documents and records field data collection and in-office data creation. Processes data as assigned to meet project requirements using a variety of geospatial software. Ensures field data is downloaded and cued for processing. Ensures electronic and other field equipment is properly cared for and that safety procedures are followed.
2. Uses global positioning system (GPS) hardware and software to collect and process GIS data.
3. Uses hand-held computers, cameras, compasses, maps and other field equipment to meet mission needs. Cleans and maintains field equipment as required.
4. Creates geospatial data from imagery and other sources as assigned. Supports UAV data collection as ground-crew member.
5. Uses ArcGIS ArcMap and ArcPro as well as other spatial software to process and complete the creation of geospatial data. Updates geodatabases as necessary. Cleans and organizes spatial data as assigned. Keys in source data entry as necessary. Ensures accuracy of data entered.
6. Drives standard and automatic transmission 4-x-4 vehicles on rough uneven roads or in rugged desert terrain.
7. Works effectively with co-workers and other military and civilian personnel.
8. Performs other related duties as necessary or assigned.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: Work is performed under the direct supervision of the GIS Manager in the Construction and Facilities Management Office (CFMO), Environmental Management Office (EMO), Idaho Army National Guard (IDARNG). The employee independently works on assignments with oversight and review of deliverables by supervisor. The employee is expected to use good judgement to adjustments as needed to accommodate minor deviations based on knowledge and experience. Unfamiliar or unusually difficult situations or problems should be referred to a senior GIS analyst for support and or direction from the supervisor.
PERSONAL WORK CONTACTS: The incumbent comes into contact with environmental personnel and other employees of the Idaho Military Division/Idaho National Guard, as well as employees of other agencies or groups who perform field investigations on National Guard training lands or are involved in the local geospatial community.
WORKING CONDITIONS / PHYSICAL EFFORT: Approximately 75% of the work requires outdoor exposure in all types of weather, day or night, while the other 25% of the work is sedentary and performed indoors. Field work activity requires the ability to work long hours; work in hot summer or cold winter conditions; requires some physical exertion; driving, walking and climbing over rough, rocky terrain; standing, stooping, reaching, and the occasional lifting of items as heavy as 50 pounds. The incumbent is expected to walk more than one half mile over uneven terrain in hot and or cold desert conditions. While in the field, incumbent is exposed to dangers associated with working within an active or inactive National Guard Training Site or other National Guard Installation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
a. Each person hired will be required to provide verification of eligibility to work in the United States and may be subject to a criminal background check.
b. Refer to the position description for the Mandatory Requirements for this position.
c. The State of Idaho, Military Division is an Equal Opportunity employer. Selection for this position will be made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), genetic information, political affiliation, marital status, and disability or age (which does not interfere with job accomplishment or job eligibility based upon the position description Mandatory Requirements). Appropriate consideration shall be given to veterans in accordance with applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
PERSONNEL MANAGER CERTIFICATION: The title, series, grade, duties and responsibilities are complete and accurate as written and a current or projected vacancy exists as advertised.