"Bag It" is a documentary about the environmental and health impacts of plastics (plastic bags, bottles, toys), but it's done in a way that engages audiences and presents solutions that everyone can adopt. This film took 'Best of Festival' at the Monterey Film Festival last year.
PCC Green Team has this movie and will be showing it on Sylvania campus on Friday Feb 11, 1-3pm in ST 107.
From the Google Earth Newsletter:
Follow Your World
We're often asked about the age of satellite imagery and when new content will be updated. While we aren't able to tell you in advance when our imagery will be updated, we can now notify you after new images are added to an area that you're interested in. With the newFollow Your World website, you can register points on the globe, and we'll send you an email whenever imagery is updated there. Learn how to submit your imagery requests here!
An article from Directions magazine, here is the summary:
"Last month Penn State University and Directions Media presented a webinar titled The New Geospatial Jobs and How to be Ready for Them (archived version). A total of 940 people registered for the event. We received more questions than could be answered. We asked the hosts to respond to them in two articles."
Here is the link to the article: http://www.directionsmag.com/articles/geospatial-occupations-qa-part-two/139775
The Office of International Education is happy to promote the Summer 2011 PCC Study Abroad Program to Guanajuato, Mexico. The program dates are July 3rd to July 22nd, 2011.
The deadline to submit application will be Friday, April 8th, 2011.
The Oregon International Education Consortium (OIEC), which includes Portland Community College, Central Oregon Community College, Chemeketa Community College, Clackamas Community College, Mt. Hood Community College and Rogue Community College, offers this unique program to enable students to study abroad while making normal progress toward their degree objectives. Students earn earning 4 transferable credits in Spanish taught by community college faculty and local guest lecturers. This program is offered in conjunction Central Oregon Community College, which arranges transportation, living accommodations, and regional tours. Credits earned will appear on transcripts from these fully accredited community colleges.
Our office is happy to send you copies of our Guanajuato, Mexico promotional brochure. Simply call or email us using the contact information below and be sure to specify both the quantity you wish to receive and your campus address.
For more information about the program and other study abroad opportunities at PCC, students may visit our web-site at www.pcc.edu/studyabroad or contact our office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 971-722-7152.
This is a great opportunity for PCC students to study Spanish one of the most beautiful cities in all Mexico!
Study Abroad Program Assistant
Office of International Education
Portland Community College
Rock Creek Campus, Building 3, Room 223
17705 NW Springville Road
Portland, OR 97229
Position: GIS Technician/Analyst
Location: Portland, Oregon
Maul Foster & Alongi, Inc. (MFA) is a locally owned Pacific Northwest consulting firm specializing
in the areas of environmental science, engineering, planning, landscape architecture, and GIS. Since
our inception in 1996, MFA has grown from four employees to more than 50 employees, with
offices in Portland, Oregon, and in Vancouver, Seattle, and Bellingham, Washington. We are
approaching our 15th year of providing services to a diverse client base that includes private
business and industry, ports, municipalities, and Native American tribes. We are committed to a
better planned and well designed future.
MFA is actively seeking a full-time GIS technician/analyst for our Portland, Oregon, office. The
successful candidate will be responsible for providing GIS technical support and GIS task
management for environmental, engineering, and planning projects. Primary duties include assisting
with day-to-day GIS project tasks for company projects, including GIS data management, collecting,
analyzing, and mapping geographic data, and creating cartographic products for display and reports.
• BA/BS degree from a U.S. accredited college or university in geography, environmental
studies/science, planning, or related field. A minimum of 12 credit hours in GIS-specific
courses is also required. Please provide a list of completed GIS coursework.
• One to five years of work experience as a GIS Technician or Analyst.
• Competence in working with ESRI’s ArcGIS Desktop suite (ArcMap, ArcCatalog,
ArcToolbox) and extensions (i.e., Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst). Ability to perform GIS
data conversion/editing, spatial analysis/reporting tasks, spatial database management, and
GIS map production.
• Experience working with AutoCAD data within the ArcGIS Desktop environment.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Access.
• Proven organizational and problem-solving skills, as well as attention to detail.
• Must be able to formulate and clearly communicate ideas, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to work both independently with little guidance and within a collaborative group
• Willingness to work overtime as needed.
Desired Skills and Abilities
• Experience in working with ESRI’s ArcGIS Server products or experience with other
applicable Web design products.
• Experience in programming (e.g., java, VBA, ArcObjects, python, Adobe flex).
• Experience in database management systems (e.g., SQL).
• Knowledge of additional ESRI extensions (e.g., Network Analyst, Business Analyst,
• Proficiency in Adobe Design suite of products and the ability to integrate them with ESRI.
Salary & Benefits:
• Compensation will be based on individual qualifications and experience.
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
• 401(k) Plan.
• Paid time off.
• Training and development opportunities.
How to Apply:
To be considered for the position, please send a cover letter and resume via email with the subject
heading GIS Technician/Analyst Position, addressed to:
Maul Foster & Alongi, Inc.
7223 NE Hazel Dell Avenue, Suite B
Vancouver, WA 98665
In an attempt to reconstruct the network of Enlightenment correspondence that linked thinkers like Locke, Voltaire and Rousseau, historians are using today's technology to visually show these relationships.
To see the full article in NY times follow the link:
What: Part-time, temporary GIS Analyst
Who: Tetra Tech
Salary: $16/hr and 24hr/week
Tetra Tech EC, Inc., a leading environmental consulting firm, is seeking a qualified GIS Analyst for a part-time, temporary position; with the potential for permanent employment. Candidate will work as part of the GIS team in Portland, Oregon supporting staff biologists, engineers, and permitting specialists working on multiple projects across the United States. Candidate must be a self-starter with strong interpersonal communication skills, able to work under direct supervision, and also capable of solving unanticipated problems on-the-fly without direct supervisor direction.
- Conduct spatial analysis primarily in support of wind and solar development but also including transmission and pipelines
- Maintain office GIS architecture
- Update and enhance metadata on current and past projects
- Create high quality maps for print and web display
- Refine and update map templates as necessary
- Data processing with GIS and database programs
- GPS maintenance: loading and unloading Trimble units, creating data dictionaries, and differentially correcting data
- Process disparate datasets to a common spatial reference and data standard
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography or a related field
- 2+ years of experience in GIS.
- Core knowledge of geographic concepts including: datums and projections, data interoperability, cartography, and GIS
- Fluency in English
- Intermediate knowledge of ArcGIS
- Working knowledge of MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access
- Master’s Degree in Geography or related field
- Knowledge of Trimble GPS including TerraSync and Pathfinder Office
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator
- Field experience with Trimble GPS
Part-time, no less than 24 hours per week. Potential for full time employment. No benefits. $16.00 per hour.
Tetra Tech EC is an equal opportunity employer.
Robert G. Friedel
GIS Coordinator / Project Manager
Tetra Tech EC, Inc.
1750 SW Harbor Way, Suite 400
Portland, OR 97201
The Oregon & SW Chapter of URISA provide two scholarships to support education & research for emerging GIS professionals.
They have $500 tuition scholarships & $1500 Research scholarships available and the deadline to apply is Feb 25, 2011.
Follow the link for full details on the awards: http://www.orurisa.org/Default.aspx?pageId=464265
Register now for the upcoming GIS in Action conference March 29 & 30, 2011.
Please mark your calendars for the NINETEENTH Annual GIS In Action Conference, hosted by the Columbia River Region of the American Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS) and the Oregon-Southwest Washington Chapter of the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA). Each year ASPRS and URISA collaborate to hold this informational conference on current issues in the Geospatial Information Community. Join us for what will surely be another successful opportunity to meet with colleagues in the geospatial industries and organizations, to learn about emerging topics and recent advances in GIS applications, and to discuss our problems and solutions together. Don’t miss this amazing opportunity to meet and network with GIS professionals from the region. Find out who is doing what, and how.
Preliminary Conference Program available
Conference program has been updated. Please visit the GIS In Action Website for more information. To download the preliminary program, click here.
Portland State University will graciously host this year’s conference for the second consecutive year! The raving positive feedback from the 2010 conference survey has led us to use the PSU facility once again. Holding the conference at Portland State creates exciting opportunities to include PSU students from other departments, members of the open source community and engineering, surveying and natural resources professionals who are all an important part of the GIS community.
Call for posters!
Submit your entries for the poster session at the conference. Open categories for posters are:
- Technically advanced applications
- Collaborative GIS
- GIS for 'real-world' problem solving
- Innovative application of GIS
Information for poster submissions, please contact email@example.com
There will be at least three tracks each day consisting of panel discussions debating hot-topics, traditional sessions with two-to-three presentations per session, and technical workshops providing in-depth discussion of issues and training in applications most relevant to the geospatial community.
Guest speakers will present on both days.
On Tuesday morning, JIM GERINGER (Former Governor of Wyoming) will speak. Wednesday guest speaker is yet to be announced.
- The Exhibit Hall will open on Tuesday at 8:00AM and remain open until Wednesday at 2:00PM. The hall will feature as many as 20 vendors in GIS related technology and services. This is an opportunity to see and discuss the latest advances in the industry.
- The Vendor Social will be held on Tuesday evening from 5:00PM to 7:00PM in the Exhibit Hall. Join your peers in a more relaxed atmosphere with food and beverages. Entertainment to be yet announced.
- The Poster Session will be held during the Vender Social. Ballots for the People’s Choice are included in your registration packet. Please take it to the Exhibit Hall and vote.