Job Title: Marine Spatial Analyst
Job Location: Stennis Space Center, Mississippi, USA
Job Type: Full time Contract Position
Company: CSS-Dynamac** (http://www.consolidatedsafety.com/)
Start Date: Jan 2, 2012 or until filled
Where To Apply: https://jobs-consolidatedsafety.icims.com/jobs/1354/job
Salary: $ Negotiable (commensurate with experience)
A person with academic training in marine biology, ecology, fisheries, and spatial or landscape ecology is being sought for a full-time contract position with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science (NCCOS), Center for Coastal Monitoring and Assessment (CCMA), Biogeography Branch. The Branch conducts ecological studies that map, characterize, assess, and model the spatial distributions and movements of estuarine and marine organisms across habitats throughout the United States and Island Territories. The successful candidate will have the following core responsibilities.
*Provide statistical and analytical support to projects that map marine ecosystems and the distributions of biota in the Gulf of Mexico. Initial efforts will focus on mapping fish and their associated habitats.
Specific duties include:
*Produce detailed statistical summaries of collected data (e.g.estimates of means and variance by seasons, year, other categories, quantiles summaries, etc.);
*Evaluate and analyze field data to create maps of benthic habitats and species distributions;
*Develop cartographic products and associated metadata;
*Assist with writing technical reports and journal articles; and,
*Travel to agencies (federal, state, academic) that may provide data or expertise to vet analytical approaches or products.
*Provide statistical and analytical support for other Biogeography Branch projects including work with deep-water corals, coastal pollution, and
marine birds and mammals.
* Master of Science degree in a Biology, Ecology, Zoology, or a related field;
* Excellent written and oral communication skills;
* Graduate training in statistics and demonstrated experience in multivariate statistics;
* Relevant experience or academic training in Geographic Information Systems, especially ArcGIS;
* Knowledge of marine biology and spatial ecology.
* Experience with ArcGIS editing and the use of ArcGIS extensions, such as Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst and Geostatistical Analyst;
* Experience with GIS modeling techniques;
* Experience with statistical software e.g., SAS, Primer and/or JMP;
* Knowledge of coastal and marine ecosystems in the Gulf of Mexico.
*Where to Apply*:
Mapping Eastern Oregon Juniper Encroachment
The Institute for Natural Resources-Portland (INR-Portland), located on PSU campus, is conducting an environmental monitoring project to study the juniper encroachment in Eastern Oregon. Historical aerial photographs from the 50’s-80s’s need to be geo-referenced and mosiacked for a remote area in eastern Oregon for several watersheds for validation of a historical juniper density and distribution map being created with Landsat TM imagery. The aerial photographs will also be used as training data for historic Landsat images. Estimated a total of 100 hours of work, with a chance of additional project work in the future. The ideal candidate is able to work independently, pay attention to detail, familiar with eastern Oregon environmental issues and has experience geo-referencing satellite imagery or aerial photography. Familiarity with ERDAS Imagine is necessary. Pay $15/hr. Flexible work schedule is fine, 10-25 hrs/week.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Graduate Assistantship: Climate Change, Water, and Ecosystem Services at University of Wyoming
Melanie Murphy is recruiting a MS or PhD student to investigate how long-term changes in climate will impact water (distribution, abundance, quality) and ecosystem services (e.g., biodiversity and livestock production) in Wyoming range systems. The effects of climate change are critically important in semi-arid systems where water is the ultimate limiting factor. Water availability is predicted to decrease in Wyoming rangelands regardless of precipitation due to temperature-related increases in vegetative evapotranspiration rates. In addition, annual water supply in high elevation systems is dependent on spring snowmelt from the mountains which may be significantly impacted by shifts in precipitation timing. Water shortage has negative consequences for both biodiversity and human resource use.
Semi-permanent wetlands are indicators of surface water availability. The selected student will use field-based and remotely-sensed data to characterize wetlands and quantify biodiversity. The student will then link these components with human resource use under alternative scenarios of climate change. Student will also have the opportunity to incorporate molecular methods to quantify biodiversity and landscape connectivity (landscape geneticsapproaches).
Prospective students with a background in natural resources, ecology, and/or population genetics are encouraged to apply. Evidence of robust analytical skills, scientific writing, strong work ethic, passion for scientific inquiry, ability to work under harsh field conditions and aptitude for collaborative research are expected.
My spatial ecology and landscape genetics research group is focused on understanding fine-scale distribution and functional connectivity of animal species in ecological systems (https://sites.google.com/site/murphylabuwyo/). University of Wyoming (www.uwyo.edu) is ideally located in Laramie, Wyoming with easy access to varied field sites and outdoor recreation opportunities. In addition, the campus is only 1 hour from Fort Collins and 2 hours from Denver, CO.
Requirements: GRE 1200 (verbal + quantitative, 4 writing), GPA 3.0 (BS)/ 3.3 (MS). Closing date: Dec. 10, 2011 (review will begin immediately). Send materials to Dr. Melanie Murphy (email@example.com). Also complete a departmental application (http://www.uwyo.edu/renewable/info.asp?p=22152). PhD students are encouraged to apply to the innovative Program in Ecology (www.uwyo.edu/pie), an integrated, interdepartmental PhD program in ecological science. Position starts August 2012.
*Job Title: Mapping Specialist
*Job Location: Silver Spring, MD
*Job Type: Full time Contract Position
*Company: CSS-Dynamac (http://www.consolidatedsafety.com/)
*Start Date: Jan 2, 2011 or until filled
*Where To Apply: https://jobs-consolidatedsafety.icims.com/jobs/1349/job
*Salary: Negotiable (commensurate with experience)
A person with academic training in biological, earth, physical sciences, geography or spatial ecology is needed for a full-time contract position with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) Center for Coastal Monitoring and Assessment (CCMA) Biogeography Branch. The Branch conducts ecological studies that map, characterize, assess, and model the spatial distributions and movements of estuarine and marine organisms across habitats throughout the United States and Island Territories. Applicants should have demonstrated experience in conducting spatial analysis in ESRI ArcGIS, and should be available for frequent travel to conduct ship-based mapping missions for periods of two to three weeks. Experience with Hypack/Hysweep, Konsgberg and Reson multibeam systems; NOAA Hydrographic Specifications and Deliverables; and habitat mapping are also desirable. The successful candidate will have the following core responsibilities.
1. Provide GIS and remote sensing support to projects developing benthic habitat maps of marine ecosystems:
* Develop cartographic products and metadata from spatial data
* Process and archive remotely sensed data (e.g. imagery) for
distribution and storage
* Assist with acquisition of data or samples in field.
2.Provide data management support to projects conducting ecological assessments of marine ecosystems:
* Assist with field mission preparation
* Perform quality assurance and control (QA/QC) on collected data
* Produce basic descriptive statistical summaries of collected data
* Experience or academic training in Geographic Information Systems,
especially ArcGIS and remote sensing software (e.g. ENVI or PCI)
* Basic knowledge of statistics
* Experience with acoustic acquisition and processing software, e.g.,
Hypack and Caris
* Familiarity acquiring acoustic data with Reson and Kongsberg
* Sea worthiness and ability to travel for two-three week missions at
sea multiple times a year
* Keen attention to detail
* Knowledge of marine science, biology, ecology, or geology
* Good written and oral communication skills
* Ability to learn quickly, work independently & collaboratively, and
show initiative to solve technical problems
* Experience or academic training in developing marine benthic habitat
maps from remotely-sensed imagery
* Experience with ArcGIS editing and the use of ArcGIS extensions such
as Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst, Geostatistical Analyst, Geospatial
Modelling Environment, and MGET
* Familiarity with LiDAR data processing
* Experience coding in a high-level scientific language such as R,
Matlab, or Python
* Knowledge of Geostatistics and Spatial Statistical Modelling
*Where to Apply: https://jobs-consolidatedsafety.icims.com/jobs/1349/job
Job Description Specialist, GIS - Associate-111354
Description For internal MidAmerican Energy Holding Company employee consideration only
Provides expertise in a specialized field. Acts as a resource to generalist personnel to investigate and resolve problem situations or complex issues. Uses Geographic Information Systems (GIS), AutoCAD, and custom applications to maintain data that serves a variety of purposes. Reads and interprets electrical utility asset and connectivity maps to enter, edit, and update spatial and tabular data. Understands digital land data and manage data entered into a GIS database. Generates maps. Develops and maintains operational and procedural documentation.
Responsibilities of this position include the following:
Job: Engineering/ScientificPrimary Location: OR-Portland
Hiring Range: 32,000.00 - 40,400.00
Department: GIS Production
For full Job description: http://www.pacificorp.com/car/op/sp.html
Professor Boone-Heinonen in the Department of Public Health and Preventive Medicine at Oregon Health and Science University is seeking a temporary GIS analyst. The position starts immediately once it's filled. Please contact Professor Boone-Heinonen directly if you are interested. Here is the position description.
Neighborhood health research at OHSU: paid research assistant position
This project will use Geographic Information Systems (GIS) methods to link health data from the Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System to neighborhood data on sociodemographic composition, crime, tobacco and alcohol outlets, food resources, and the physical activity environment. Data will be used to determine the degree to which specific neighborhood characteristics (e.g. crime) explain race/ethnic disparities in maternal factors (e.g. stress) and subsequent birth size.
We are looking for a GIS analyst to conduct preliminary cleaning and preparation of neighborhood data, linkage of data using GIS, and create respondent-specific measures for statistical analysis. We estimate about 200 hours of spatial analysis work to be conducted from approximately Dec 1, 2011 through April 30, 2012. Please contact Janne Boone-Heinonen for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Critigen, LLC is a global leader in geospatial technology consulting with over 25 years of A/E/C experience delivering industry-leading, business driven GIS solutions and services to companies, utilities, municipalities, state agencies and the Federal government. Critigen specializes in Enterprise & Cloud GIS, ArcGIS Web & Mobile Solutions, Data Management, Surveying and Mapping.
Critigen is looking for a GIS Technician with cartographic, data management, and analytical skills. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing GIS support to a wide range of environmental, planning, and engineering disciplines. Applicants must have exceptional communications skills, demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and perform work on time and within budget in a fast-paced production environment. Come join our community of GIS professionals to develop innovative approaches in applying and developing GIS applications.
Education: BA/BS in Geography, Cartography, Planning, Natural Resources, Engineering, or GIS related field
Years of Experience: 1 to 3 years of experience
· Basic knowledge of technical application, concepts, principles, and theories in GIS
· Demonstrates the ability to work effectively with others in a team environment to successfully deliver quality projects
· Working knowledge of basic GIS technical processes and routines for the delivery of quality GIS and cartographic work products
· Demonstrates the initiative in seeking out work, new responsibilities and work challenges.
· Displays responsible positive behaviors for consistency, predictability and reliability at work to complete assignments and meet deadlines
· Applied experience with Esri software, specifically the ArcGIS suite (ArcCatalog, ArcMap, ArcToolbox)· Strong cartographic/data management skills are required to perform job duties
· Performs other duties and responsibilities as requested or required.
· Experience with transportation planning, environmental sampling and analytical results datasets
· Experience with GPS data management/field survey protocol using Trimble GPS software/equipment· Experience with extending ESRI’s default ArcMap environment via Python, VB.net, or C#· Experience with AutoCAD or Microstation software/data is a plus
· Working level experience with MS Excel and MS Access is a plus
· Experience with Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop is a plus
· Familiarity with Spatial Data Standards for Facilities Infrastructure and Environment (SDSFIE) or Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) standards is a plusSoft Skills:
· Positive/can-do attitude; problem solver; strong organizational, communication and writing skills; ability to network and build relationships ; personal leadership & team player
Critigen is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
To apply: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA4/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=CRITIGEN&cws=1&rid=419
Note: this is an ADDITIONAL position being advertised by GeoSolve…
GeoSolve Inc. is a growing company that provides specialized GIS and database services for E9-1-1, Emergency Management and Infrastructure. We are currently recruiting for the following regular full-time position:
GIS Project Assistant – Provides overall office administrative assistance and support for the Company’s varied and numerous GIS Projects. Specific duties include (but are not limited to) resource data and document tracking; staff time entry, tracking and reporting; developing and maintaining contacts and calendars; posting data, assisting in recruitments, making travel arrangements, and reception.
Requirements – Demonstrated superior organizational skills, proficient in MS Office Pro and Access databases, and a minimum of two years successful experience providing similar project administrative support.
Desirable – A working knowledge of QuickBooks software (including payroll, taxes, reporting, etc.) and a general knowledge of Esri GIS software.
Compensation DOQ/DOE. Benefits include fully paid health, dental, and vision insurance; paid holidays, vacation and sick leave.
Applicants should submit a detailed resume and cover letter to:
P.O. Box 627,
Albany, OR 97321
or email to email@example.com
Position is open until filled.