The Gifford Pinchot National Forest will soon be hiring a permanent seasonal (18/8) Biological Technician (plants) to join the Gifford Pinchot National Forest Botany Program. This position has a guarantee of 18 pay periods of full time employment each year. Additional work beyond the 18 guaranteed periods may be offered if a need and financial resources are available. This position will have a duty station at Mt. Adams Ranger District located in Trout Lake, Washington. The position has a strong field component, and will work primarily across the south zone of the forest. The position requires a valid driver’s license, and ability to work independently in all kinds of weather and terrain.
This position serves as a Biological Technician assisting the journey level Botanist assigned to the south “zone” of the forest (Mt. Adams and Mt. St. Helens Districts) with a variety of botanical duties in support of Forest activities, including data collection to support National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) analysis, conservation of Threatened, Endangered, and Sensitive (TES) botanical species, maintenance of native plant material availability for restoration purposes, and coordination of a large invasive species control program. Major duties of the position include survey, identification, and data entry for TES plant species, invasive species, and native species for propagation; preparation of reports summarizing data and management recommendations; administration of projects, which may sometimes involve working as a Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) or inspector for contracts, and coordinating volunteers; data summarization, analysis, and mapping; environmental education, training and awareness programs ensuring that employees, volunteers, partners and others can identify target plant species; and assigned phases of program administration, contract preparation, budgeting, etc.
We are seeking an individual who has:
If you have any questions, contact:
South Zone Botanist
Gifford Pinchot National Forest
Mt. Adams Ranger District
2455 Hwy 141
Trout Lake, WA 98650
Job Title: GIS Technician
Location: Portland , Oregon
Website: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/trimet/default.cfm?action=viewJob&job ID=905112
Description: Technical position that provides graphics, planning, analysis, mapping, and technical assistance where needed related to Geographic Information Systems (GIS) activity. Assignments may consist of: data collecting with GPS units; editing, creating and verifying map layers and spatial data using field checks or reference data; geocoding origin and destinations for analysis; and gathering data and information for the development of GIS projects. Some projects may include working with regional jurisdictional data, OpenStreetMap data, OpenStreetMap tools, databases, ESRI software, and open source software’s such as GeoServer, OpenLayers, and PostGIS. Ensure a commitment to safety through consistent and professional behaviors in performance of job requirements that demonstrate safety is a fundamental value that guides all aspects of our work. Perform related duties as required.
1. Conduct miscellaneous mapping assignments and provide general GIS support.
2. Edit OpenStreetMap data to support operational purposes, requires collaborating with jurisdictions and the OpenStreetMap Community. Include map verification processes and data preparation processes for internal systems such as trip planner, scheduling, and dispatch.
3. Assist in the maintenance and collection of spatial data with a Global Positioning System (GPS).
4. Research, conduct field work and/or view aerial photography to collect and verify GIS data.
5. Conduct planning studies and prepare graphics for presentation; may perform presentations.
6. Write documentation of tasks and projects of user requirements.
7. Utilize Census data for demographic analysis.
8. Geocode data to create maps for presentation and analysis.
1. Knowledge of basic principles in GIS, GPS, cartography, planning, or graphics and design.
2. Ability to adapt quickly and function within a variety of different software environments.
3. Ability to think analytically and to problem solve.
4. Ability to work independently and with a supervisor or team.
5. Ability to follow directions in a prompt and courteous manner.
6. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in writing and orally.
7. Ability to work within deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
8. Ability to observe good work ethics; be dependable, reliable and conscientious.
9. Ability to perform detailed work accurately.
10. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, management and the general public, including those from culturally diverse backgrounds, the elderly, persons with disabilities and/or other vulnerable populations.
11. Demonstrated ability to display superior customer service attitude and ethic.
12. Ability to operate personal computer systems including Word, Excel and Outlook. Demonstrated proficiency to accurately keyboard (type).
This is a direct link to the job announcement. https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/373184900
Job Title:Environmental Scientist I or II - TLT
Opening Date/Time:Mon. 06/16/14 12:00 AM Pacific Time
Closing Date/Time:Mon. 07/07/14 4:00 PM Pacific Time
Salary:See Position Description
Job Type:Term Limited Temporary, Full Time, 40 hrs/wk
Location:35030 SE Douglas Street, Suite 210, Snoqualmie, Washington
Department:Department of Permitting and Environmental Review
Salary from position description:
Level I $29.28 - $37.11
Level II $32.96 - $41.78
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS, AND/OR LICENSES FOR BOTH LEVELS:
A biology, ecology, geology degree or equivalent work experience.
Knowledge of basic GPS (global positioning system) data collection and processing
Knowledge of computer-aided drafting techniques and Geographical Information Systems (GIS).
Two years of field or inspection related work.
For more information and to apply, see: http://www.kingcounty.gov/jobs/employment-opportunities.aspx
Job Title: GIS Specialist (EMNRD #5689)
Closing Date/Time: Thu. 07/03/14 11:59 PM Mountain Time
Salary: $18.54 - $32.96 Hourly [$38,563.20 - $68,556.80 Annually]
Job Type: Permanent Position
Location: Santa Fe (City), New Mexico
Department: Energy, Minerals & Ntrl Rsrcs Dpt
If interested, apply at the NM State Personnel Office NeoGov system (http://agency.governmentjobs.com/newmexico/default.cfm ).
ELYON International is a premier management consulting firm with a diverse list of both government and commercial customers. ELYON International provides comprehensive management consulting, information technology, geospatial and professional support services that enable our customers to meet their goals and exceed performance objectives.
ELYON is currently seeking a polished and experienced GIS Training Specialist. The position willvbe based out of the Portland Vancouver area and will require travel during the spring and summer months. This is a part-time position to start (20 hours per week). ELYON is only accepting local candidates for this position.
• Assist the Mobile GIS lead to research user requirements, and document and test the suite of Mobile GIS/GIS software tools, using Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI) and Trimble COTS desktop software as well as ESRI ArcPad10 and emerging mobile software on multiple operating systems.
• Research and write curriculum and train nationally on mobile GIS systems as a live instructor, through internet courses or through self-study courses.
• Testing programs on mobile GIS units and coordinating User Acceptance Testing;
• Working with field users to document system requirements
• Documenting schema, requirements, workflows, processes, results and user guides
• Working as a facilitator with a regional or national team to refine system
• Writing curriculum, installation guides and Computer Systems Operation guides
• Teaching courses through the Internet, through self-study recorded sessions and live instruction with small groups of up to 24 persons.
• Setting up classrooms and pilot equipment with network access, loading software, loading training data and preparing hardware.
• Evaluating the system and serve the business to ensure functional use of the system for field going staff.
• Acting as technical support liaison for users.
• Assisting to create GIS products for use on mobile devices (i.e. topographic maps, aerial photos, geodatabases, export files)
• Assisting to track licenses and order new hardware and software through the purchasing and asset procedures.
• Facilitating and Preparing for team meetings with presentations, scheduling and documenting minutes.
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Specific skills in mobile GIS using ESRI ArcPad software
• Skills and experience in using Trimble GPS Hardware for field data collection
• Excellent writing skills for technical documents such as software requirements, user guides and configuration management documents.
• 3-5 years experience with ESRI ArcGIS version 10.x suite of software
• Certified trainer with documented experience in a classroom setting
Qualified and interested candidates can send their resume to
Joshua.sisco at elyoninternational.com
Visualizing and Analyzing Environmental Data with R
Date(s):July 15, 2014: 8:30am - 4:30pm
July 16, 2014: 8:30am - 4:30pm
Location: The University Place Hotel and Conference Center
Portland, ORInstructor:Kevin Ceder
Tuition:$645 / $595*
$545 / $495* (Before June 14, 2014)
R Programming Course
4 week R Programing class on Coursera that is recurring throughout the summer
Department:CAPITAL PROJECTS OFFICE (CPO)
Job Location:Seattle Campus
Closing Info:Closes On 06/24/2014
Salary:Salary and benefits are competitive. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoy outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
The Capital Projects Office (CPO) is responsible for the planning, design, budgeting, scheduling, and administration of major public works projects. We have an outstanding opportunity for a GIS Analyst to assist in maintaining and enhancing the management of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data, GIS data processing, and GIS data analysis for the Capital Projects Office and the University.
The CPO GIS Analyst also assists in maintaining the GIS floor plan infrastructure system. The CPO GIS Analyst utilizes best practices and works with internal and external technical staff to help develop and implement GIS solutions. The CPO GIS Analyst seeks to understand the requisite cascading impacts of upgrades of existing software products, implementation and deployment of new and custom software applications, and determines appropriate methods to achieve the best possible results.
For full job description and application details: https://uwhires.admin.washington.edu/eng/candidates/default.cfm?szCategory=JobProfile&szOrderID=109022&szlocationID=88
The West Coast Ocean Data Portal (WCODP, http://portal.westcoastoceans.org) is seeking a qualified GIS Data Developer to work with West Coast agencies, organizations, and tribes to fill critical data gaps by developing, enhancing, and connecting their geospatial data, metadata, and services to the WCODP as well as other state and national systems. You can learn more about the WCODP here.
The West Coast Governors Alliance (http://westcoastoceans.org) and the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation invite you to submit a proposal for the position of GIS Data Developer.
You can read the full RFP here.
Submissions must be received electronically by July 11th, 2014.
If you have questions, or should need any clarifying information, the contact for this RFP is:
WCODP Project Coordinator
West Coast Governors Alliance
Job Title: GIS & Planning Analyst
Company: Portland State University
Location: Portland , Oregon
Brief Description of PSU/School/Dept
Portland State University is Oregon’s largest and most diverse university. The campus is located in downtown Portland.
The PSU Campus Planning Office is within the division of Finance and Administration. Campus planning activities include facilities and space planning, transportation planning, campus design, and space programming and management.
The Campus Planning Office works closely with other departments, including the Campus Sustainability Office, Capital Projects & Construction, and Facilities & Property Management.
Provides support to the PSU Campus Planning Office through 1)Management of GIS database, 2)GIS analysis, map, and report creation, and 3)Support of campus planning efforts. This position will support campus planning efforts though the staffing of committees and by contributing towards planning projects managed by colleagues.
Primary Activity A - Administrative
Minimum Qualifications from Classification
-College level courses in statistics (at least six quarter hours); research methods and techniques (e.g., research design, sampling, surveying, etc.); and computer software application or packages (e.g., Statistical Analyses System, Lotus 1-2-3, etc.); OR
-Three years of experience assisting with the gathering, compiling, analyzing, and reporting of research information and statistical data plus assisting with the drafting of this information into narrative or statistical reports,; OR
-An equivalent combination of training and experience.
Transcripts may be required for all required and/or related courses.
Additional Minimum Qualifications for this Position
-One year of experience in the field of planning, geography, cartography, or public administration, or equivalent education
-Demonstrated proficiency in ArcGIS, including geodatabase management and map creation
-Demonstrated proficiency in Adobe Illustrator
-Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint
-College level courses in planning, geography, cartography
-Familiarity with Google applications including Mail, Calendar, Drive, etc.
Key Cultural Competencies
When supporting campus planning efforts, considers the impact of activities on the campus community, providing stakeholders with information and opportunities to participate.