Location: Longivew, Washington, United States
Employment Type: Full time
Job ID: 10525
Reporting to the GIS Supervisor, the GIS Analyst is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the District's ArcMap/ArcFM based Geographic Information System (GIS) and work order management systems, and for providing a high level of technical support and services to personnel in digital mapping and District asset managment.
To be considered for this position you must submit a complete application packet. A complete list of requirements for this position can be found on our careers page at www.cowlitzpud.org
The ideal candidate must have an Associate's degree or equivalent course work from a vocational or technical school in geographic information systems, geography, planning or computer science plus a minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience providing GIS functions. Preference may be given for Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Geography or related field from an accredited four-year college or university.
To help communities and citizens plan for the risks of coastal flooding and other climate-change-related impacts, the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Defense, the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, and the U.S. Geological Survey are releasing today a collection of non-sensitive datasets containing mapping information on hundreds of thousands of the Nation’s infrastructure units and geographical features, including bridges, roads, railroad tunnels, canals, and river gauges.
These data are being made available via user-friendly mapping services on Geoplatform.gov and Climate.data.gov.
Job Title: Student Trainee (Geographer)
Department: Department of the Army
Agency: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Job Announcement Number: WTHE149301041074084P
SALARY RANGE: $29,802.00 to $43,351.00 / Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: Thursday, March 20, 2014 to Wednesday, April 02, 2014
SERIES & GRADE: GS-0199-04/05
POSITION INFORMATION: Multiple Schedules - Internships
PROMOTION POTENTIAL: 05
DUTY LOCATIONS: 1 vacancy in the following location: Portland, OR
WHO MAY APPLY: Pathways Program eligibles within the Portland, OR local commuting area
SECURITY CLEARANCE: Q - Nonsensitive
SUPERVISORY STATUS: No
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
Serves as a Geographer student trainee in the Geographic Information System, Computer Aided Design and Drafting, Mapping and Central Files Section of the Engineering and Construction Division in Portland, OR. Performs various Geography related duties that support various Civil Works Projects throughout the Portland District. Generally the incumbent performs duties, in addition to classroom and on-the-job training, designed to provide an orientation in the application of theories and basic principles and practices in support of this specialized occupational area.
For full job description and application details, click here.
Dr. Gatziolis will give a talk on GIS/remote sensing processing in R. The presentation will be held on Wednesday, April 9, 11 am at the large conference room on the 4th floor of the Gus Solomon building, located at 620 SW Main Street. The talk is open to the public.
POSITION: GIS/Environmental Internship
SALARY: $15.00 - $18.69 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 03/11/14
CLOSING DATE: 04/07/14 05:00 PM
To apply for an intern position you must be a student currently enrolled in school. Spring 2014 graduates will not be eligible for this internship unless documentation of continued educational classes (graduate school) can be provided at the time of application.
Hours: Flexible based on school schedule, with the ability to work up to 40 hours during school and school breaks.
Duration: 12 months.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
For full job announcement and application details, download flyer here.
Here is an blog post, written by Joseph Kerski at ESRI, that attempts to get a handle on the size of the geospatial industry. He addresses the question as it is asked in reference to a paper someone is researching, or because someone wants to obtain a sense of the “stability” of the industry when deciding whether to pursue GIS for their career, and for some other reasons. Here is the article:
The size of the Geospatial Industry
New Release - U.S. Census Bureau International Population Data and Maps
The Census Bureau has added to and updated the online collection of subnational population data linked to maps (shapefiles) that are available at the Spatial Data Repository. The Repository contains a variety of data and maps primarily for countries that receive assistance via the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
To access the maps, start at the web page above and:
1. Click on Data in the ribbon below the title
2. Under the Select Countries tab at the left, click on Single Country
3. Choose a country in the dropdown menu immediately below the Single Country tab to see available data sets. Census Bureau population data and maps are available for the countries listed below.
- Africa: Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Americas: Dominican Republic, Guyana, Haiti
- Asia/Europe: Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Russia, Thailand
In the near future, the Census Bureau will release a seamless global map containing population estimates for tens of thousands of subnational administrative areas globally.
The website below contains links to other Census Bureau international data and map products, including gridded data sets containing population estimates for 100-meter cells for several countries. These are ideal for obtaining neighborhood-level population estimates.
ESRI's Olympia Office is looking for a qualified intern with GIS and web development skills to work with their team for a 12 week internship this summer. This is a paid position and will offer the selected student hands-on experience working with a team of Esri professionals.
For more information, download the flyer.
Position: GIS Technician
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posting Date: March 7, 2014
Company Background: Maul Foster & Alongi, Inc. (MFA) is a locally owned Pacific Northwest consulting firm specializing in the areas of environmental science, engineering, planning, and GIS. Since 1996, MFA has grown to more than 70 employees, with offices in Portland, Oregon, Vancouver, Seattle, and Bellingham, Washington, and in Kellogg, Idaho. As a result of MFA’s growth in GIS and data management services, FLO Analytics was created, a subsidiary of MFA. FLO provides services to clients not traditionally served by environmental consulting firms. Both MFA and FLO provide services to a diverse client base that includes private business and industry, ports, municipalities, state and federal entities, nonprofit organizations, and Native American tribes.
Position Description: MFA is seeking a full-time GIS Technician for our Portland, Oregon, office.
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing GIS technical support and GIS task management for environmental and planning projects. Primary duties include assisting with day-to-
day GIS project tasks, including GIS data management, collecting, analyzing, and mapping geographic data, and creating cartographic products for display and reports.
BA/BS degree from a U.S. accredited college or university in geography, environmental studies/science, planning, or a related field with an emphasis in GIS and a minimum of 12 credit hours in GIS-specific courses.
One to three years of work experience as a GIS Technician.
Competence in working with Esri’s ArcGIS Desktop suite (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox) and extensions (e.g., Spatial Analyst, Network Analyst, 3D Analyst).
Ability to perform GIS data conversion/editing, spatial analysis/reporting tasks, spatial database management, and GIS map production.
Familiarity working within the geodatabase environment, including creating, editing, and management.
Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Access.
Proven organizational and problem-solving skills, as well as attention to detail.
Ability to formulate and clearly communicate ideas, both verbally and in writing.
Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision and within a collaborative group environment.
Willingness to work overtime and travel as needed.
Desired Skills and Abilities
Pursuit of a post-graduate degree in GIS.
Knowledge in advanced geospatial analysis and modeling principles using a variety of ArcGIS environments (e.g., ModelBuilder, Python scripting).
Experience working with Adobe’s Creative Suite.
Experience in working with environmental, planning, and utility datasets.
Experience in working with Esri’s Web APIs and/or Server products.
Experience in developing and managing relational database management systems (e.g., Access, SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL).
Salary & Benefits:
Compensation based on individual qualifications and experience.
Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
Paid time off.
Training and development opportunities.
How to Apply:
Visit http://maulfoster.iapplicants.com/to submit your resume and cover letter.
Location: Portland, OR
Category: Accounting & Finance
Posted: March 13,2014 Salary: N/A
Adecco Engineering and Technical is currently recruiting for an GIS Technician job in Portland, OR. This GIS Technician position will provide support to cultural resources staff working in the Federal Columbia River Power System Cultural Resources Program (FCRPS) and in the Section 106 National Historic Preservation Act Cultural Resources Compliance group (project compliance) within the larger Environmental Planning and Analysis organization (KEC) located in Portland Oregon The FCRPS and project compliance groups obtain information on cultural/historic/archeological resources that may be affected by Clients actions. Our Client maintains a variety of systems to maintain, track, and use this information for analyses, consultations and reporting in accordance with federal and state laws. The individual filling this position will spend approximately half of their time working in the FCRPS and half of their time working in compliance.The Salary for this position is 25 per hour.
Job closes to submittals Mon 3/17
GIS Technician job Responsibilities:
- Research and gather data regarding various, previously completed, FCRPS projects and their project areas.
- Digitize and stores acquired reports, site forms, and other historic documentation in the FCRPs Cultural Resource Program library and in SharePoint..
- Add acquired GIS data to the FCRPS Cultural Resource Program GIS database
- Organize data consistent with existing FCRPS processes.
- Track data in FCRPS database.
- Organize records in the project compliance database/library, including survey reports, site forms, correspondence and other documentation.
- Enter project information into the project compliance geographic information system/database.
- Provide maps or other products utilizing the existing database and GIS systems to display information.
- Maintain various databases and ensure data quality through the use of automated and manual techniques to enter, edit, and process data sets.
- Manage established data sharing agreements with other agencies, contract service providers, and other parties as needed.
- Maintain permanent, archival records or survey reports. Maintains a database in order to provide precise access to specific stored archival records.
- Bachelor’s degree in anthropology with emphasis in archaeology or a related field is required. Associate’s degree can substitute for 2 years related experience (see below)
- Related Experience – a minimum combination of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training is desired. Experience should be consistent with the specific responsibilities of the position.
- Minimum Experience Requirements: This is a Level 1 Position – 3 - 5 years directly-related work experience is required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel and Word) required (MS Office 2010 proficiency required).
- Experience with MS Access is required
- Experience with MS Project and PowerPoint,) and is required
- Experience with SharePoint sufficient to create, customize and edit SharePoint sites and lists.
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS sufficient to create/manipulate geodatabases, create/edit data, link data to Access database is required.
- Must have a high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work in a professional manner, effectively, collaboratively and constructively with external partners, including state, federal, and tribal staff.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and competing needs concurrently under constricted deadlines
- Ability to work in a professional manner, effectively, collaboratively, and constructively with all levels of personnel, inside of the agency
- Ability to plan, organize, anticipate needs and problems before they arise, and utilize creative thinking skills in order to efficiently identify a solution
- Proven ability to work under pressure in constantly changing and demanding environments; resource must demonstrate flexibility and ability to deal with ambiguity
- Ability to work well both independently and with varying workgroups to elicit and foster a positive and supportive work environment
If you are interested in this GIS Technician job in Portland, OR then please click APPLY NOW. For other opportunities available at Adecco Engineering and Technical go to www.adeccousa.com. If you have questions about the position please contact Thomas Wirfs at 503-535-2585 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
No Relocation or interview expenses.
No Corp-to-Corp, 1099 or Visa Sponsorships
Adecco Engineering and Technical offers benefits including Holiday, 401(k), Insurance Benefit Plans and Anniversary Bonus opportunities.
The Adecco Group is a Fortune Global 500 company and the global leader in HR services. Our group connects over 700,000 associates with our business clients each day through our 6,600 offices in over 70 countries and territories.