City of Portland Bureau of Environmental Services
Grey to Green Summer Outreach Staff
The City of Portland’s Grey to Green Urban Tree Canopy Program is looking for energetic and outgoing individuals to join our motivated team. We are developing innovative ways to grow and document Portland’s urban forest and to educate citizens about the importance of planting trees. Outreach staff are the public face of our effort, providing extensive face‐to‐face and telephone contact with residents as we offer them new tree‐planting opportunities.
Ideal candidates will be personable, creative and adaptable, comfortable with door‐to‐door canvassing, community outreach and education, and enthusiastic about planting trees as a means of improving Portland’s environment. This announcement will be used to fill up to 10 part‐time, summer positions.
• Excellent people skills, a positive attitude, and self‐motivation
• Previous experience in canvassing, customer service, or other outreach work
• Experience representing a governmental or other organization to the public
• Strong awareness of and commitment to environmental restoration
• Willingness and ability to work full shifts on foot, in the field, in varying weather conditions
• Ability to work successfully with others in a team environment
• Ability to provide your own transportation to and from field work in N, NE, and SE Portland.
• Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
• Knowledge/experience of stormwater management and/or urban forestry issues
• Previous experience with detailed data entry, database software, and GIS software
• Ability to speak a language other than English
Duties will include, but may not be limited to:
• Contacting property owners, primarily door‐to‐door as well as over the telephone, to provide
information and promote participation in tree planting initiatives
• Recording and maintaining accurate field data
• Entering field data into GIS software
• Supporting community outreach programs, including tabling at events
• Attending staff meetings and training sessions
Work will begin in late May and will continue into September, with a possibility of a few outreach staff staying on until the end of the year. The work schedule will generally be Tuesdays to Saturdays, mid‐afternoons to early evenings, with occasional Sunday and morning shifts; for an average of 20‐30 hours per week. Pay is $14.98 per hour with no additional benefits for these seasonal, part‐time positions.
Please apply with a brief, relevant resume and cover letter by email or US Mail to the address below. Please limit your combined resume/cover letter submissions to a total of three typed pages. All materials must be received by 5:00 PM Wednesday, April 6th. Interviews will be held during the first week of May. We look forward to your application.
Please submit materials to:
Anita Lane, Sr. HR Analyst
Portland Bureau of Human Resources
1120 SW 5th Avenue ‐ Room 1000
Portland, Oregon 97204
Contact Jennifer Karps (503‐823‐2263) with questions.
The City of Portland is an equal opportunity employer.