Geospatial Analyst, Chapel Hill, NC Office
The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking a Geospatial Analyst to be based in our Chapel Hill, NC office. This is an excellent opportunity to join an organization that is successfully addressing some of the most important and challenging environmental issues facing the Southeast and the nation.
With offices across the region (Charlottesville, VA; Chapel Hill, NC; Atlanta, GA; Asheville, NC; Charleston, SC; Washington, DC; Richmond, VA; Birmingham, AL; and Nashville,TN), SELC uses law and policy expertise to protect the South’s natural resources—its land, air, water, coast and wetlands—and to preserve our rural countryside and community character. Although our regional focus is the Southeast, much of our work is national in scope and impact.
SELC works collaboratively with over 100 national, state, and local groups to enhance their efficacy and achieve our common conservation goals. Our legal and policy staff comprises some of the nation’s leading experts in their respective fields, and over its 27-year history, SELC has earned a reputation as one of the most effective environmental organizations in the country. We currently have a staff of over 100, including nearly 60 attorneys. Additional information regarding our work and staff is available at www.southernenvironment.org.
About the position
The Geospatial Analyst is a full-time position, under the supervision of the Senior Geospatial Analyst and will work in close coordination with SELC’s attorneys and Communications Team. This position requires knowledge of environmental law and policy, conservation strategies, and natural sciences to design and implement GIS based solutions to environmental problems. The Geospatial Analyst will implement spatial analysis, map production, research, data creation and data management to answer important environmental questions relevant to cases and depict those results to an array of audiences. An ability to travel, sometimes overnight, will be necessary.
We are seeking a Geospatial Analyst with a strong work ethic and sense of initiative. The ideal candidate will have excellent academic credentials, demonstrated GIS experience, a strong working knowledge of environmental issues specific to the Southeast US, excellent verbal, writing, and editing skills, a demonstrated ability to work well in a collegial setting, and a strong personal
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• BA/BS degree in Geography, Environmental Studies, Natural Resources, or related field and 2 years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• At least one year of GIS experience, including acquisition and management of spatial data, map
• Required proficiency with ArcGIS 10.x and extensions, MS Office Suite, and Google Earth Pro
• Familiarity with some/all the following is preferred: Statistical analysis software (R, SAS, or other), graphics programs (Adobe Illustrator/Adobe Photoshop), Web mapping (CartoDB,Mapbox, Google Maps API, ArcGIS Online), Programming language (python, CartoCSS, SQL), ArcGIS for Server
• Ability to create, manipulate, analyze and interpret geospatial data
• Demonstrated experience managing, maintaining and populating geodatabases and manual files
• Possess a strong grasp of GIS principles and methods, cartographic design, environmental law and policy, conservation strategies, and environmental science, and relational databases
• Proven effective communication skills of technical information -- graphically, orally and in writing
• Ability to work both independently and cooperatively with staff and external parties to complete projects in a deadline driven environment
The salary range for this position is commensurate with experience and includes an
If you have these qualifications and are seeking one of the most interesting, challenging, and rewarding environmental advocacy positions available, please send your letter of interest, resume,
GIS work samples, college or graduate school transcript, and at least three references to:
Southern Environmental Law Center,
601 West Rosemary Street, Suite 220,
Chapel Hill, NC 27516,
SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is continually seeking to diversify its staff. We strongly encourage applications from persons of all racial and ethnic backgrounds.