June 16, 2011
Title: Conservation GIS Intern
Description: The World Wildlife Fund's (WWF) Conservation Science Program (CSP) seeks to advance the frontiers of science and practice within WWF and across the conservation community, laying the scientific foundation for conserving a planet that sustains both biodiversity and people. The CSP seeks a GIS intern to provide support within its Information Unit. The Information Unit within the CSP provides broad support to scientific research by obtaining, organizing, analyzing and presenting information, including database, GIS, and remote sensing technologies.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Update and maintain the online species database, the WildFinder (http://www.worldwildlife.org/wildfinder).
2. Support various projects by conducting spatial analyses and preparing maps and figures as may be required. Current projects relate to ecosystem services, spatial planning and freshwater. This will take up to 50% time.
3. Maintain, organize, update and document the CSP GIS database.
4. Provide support in map making for conservation science and other departments within World Wildlife Fund.
Education/Experience: A bachelor's degree is required with relevant background experience in geography or other environmental sciences, Masters degree preferred. The successful candidate will need to be confident and knowledgeable in management of databases, GIS analysis and map making, and organizational skills. Candidate must have at least 6 months experience using ArcGIS for spatial analysis.
Skills and Abilities:
* GIS proficiency using ESRI ArcGIS tools.
* Database management skills
* Excellent analytical skills
* Good cartographic skills
* Proficient use of basic research skills and tools.
* Strong organizational skills.
* Working knowledge of conservation added advantage.
* Knowledge of GIS programming added advantage
* The ability to effectively prioritize and work accurately under time constraints.
Duration: Paid 6 month internship. Immediate start. Full-time (35 hours/week)
Contact: Please send cover letter and resume by email to Nasser Olwero (email@example.com).