GIS Technical Intern
City of Wood Village, OR
The City of Wood Village is offering a GIS internship for asset management. The goal of the project is to organize the various GIS and engineering spatial data and produce maps for managing city assets.
This internship is intended for someone who wants to both refine and expand their GIS database management and cartographic skill sets. The intern will work under the direction of the City’s Public Works Director to develop documents and GIS products using ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online. The intern will have access to a diverse set of real world spatial data and the opportunity to refine their data management skills by both editing existing GIS data and generating maps. Finally, the intern will gain first hand insight into how to compile GIS data from as-built drawings and use GIS to support city's asset management workflow.
Skill Building Opportunities:
Interns will have the chance to learn and develop database and communication skills by:
- Compiling a spatial data inventory for asset management
- Updating GIS data layers using as-built drawings
- Assisting with GIS data management and metadata documentation
- Creating aesthetically compelling cartographic products
- Occasionally assisting with field survey efforts using a GPS unit
Who Should Apply:
Interns with the following will benefit the most from this opportunity:
- Degree in geography, urban planning, engineering or related field
- Experience managing and manipulating spatial data in ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, and ArcGIS Online
- Experience working with diverse spatial data in varying formats (e.g., CAD drawings and web feature services)
- Proven ability to communicate with GIS data users and write technical documents
- Interest in developing mobile app for field data collection and a desire to learn
- Produce instructional manual for integration of various maps and layers
- Produce various maps
This is a paid position. Rate of pay $15 per hour.
Terms of Appointment:
3-month part time (at least 15 hrs/wk but not to exceed 20 hrs/wk) internship, with possibility of extension, starting in late June 2019
The City of Wood Village, 23335 NE Halsey, Wood Village, OR 97060
How To Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to John Niiyama (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Leave a Reply.