$22.45 - $34.67 Hourly
Development & Public Works
Closes: Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
The City of Springfield has an opening for a GIS Technician. The position is responsible for collecting, digitizing, and managing spatial data using Esri ArcGIS software, SDE databases, mobile devices, and other types of software. You will be joining the City’s GIS team of five creative GIS professionals. The GIS group provides a wide range of services from traditional mapping, data management, spatial analysis, systems integration, application development and much more. It is also known for its collaborative style, creativity and exceptional customer service. While in this position, you will focus on public infrastructure data development and field tool application support for the Public Works Department; however, in time you will also have opportunities for a much wider range of projects. This position is an excellent opportunity to start and advance your new career in the rapidly growing field of Geographic Information Systems. To get just a small sampling of the data and applications you will work with, check out the Springfield Map Hub at https://data-sporgis.hub.arcgis.com/. If you value public service and are looking for a career with a lot of variety and growth opportunity, please consider applying!
If you would like to learn more about the GIS Technician position, please see the job description: GIS-Technician.pdf (springfield-or.gov)
Training & Experience:
The City will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. Such a way to meet minimum qualifications could include:
• Associate degree or two-year certificate in the field of GIS, geography, computer science planning, engineering, or related field, and;
• Grade B22 (Technician I): 0-2 years of experience performing basic and routine supportive technical tasks including entry-level data collection, data entry, and basic spatial analysis.
• Grade B23 (Technician II): 3-5 years of more advanced experience performing more advanced data analysis, data management, and project coordination tasks (i.e. deeper knowledge of GIS principles, methodologies, and software tools, and can work more independently with less supervision).
Preferences may be given based on prior knowledge and experience:
• ESRI ArcGIS family of products
• Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat)
All testing and selection processes will be done in accordance with the Oregon Veteran’s Preference in Public Employment Law.
Please do not indicate ‘See Resume’ in the ‘Work Experience’ part of the application. The information you provide in the application ‘Work Experience’ and ‘Job Duties’ will be used to determine if you will proceed to the next phase in the selection process. Information related to education and experience must be verifiable on your application to be given credit.
NOTE: This announcement is intended as a general descriptive recruitment guide and is subject to change. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
The City of Springfield is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply:
Please visit our website at https://www.springfield-or.gov/city/human-resources/careers/ to learn more about this job posting and how to apply.