Job Title: GIS Technician
Location: Portland , Oregon
Website: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/trimet/default.cfm?action=viewJob&job ID=905112
Description: Technical position that provides graphics, planning, analysis, mapping, and technical assistance where needed related to Geographic Information Systems (GIS) activity. Assignments may consist of: data collecting with GPS units; editing, creating and verifying map layers and spatial data using field checks or reference data; geocoding origin and destinations for analysis; and gathering data and information for the development of GIS projects. Some projects may include working with regional jurisdictional data, OpenStreetMap data, OpenStreetMap tools, databases, ESRI software, and open source software’s such as GeoServer, OpenLayers, and PostGIS. Ensure a commitment to safety through consistent and professional behaviors in performance of job requirements that demonstrate safety is a fundamental value that guides all aspects of our work. Perform related duties as required.
1. Conduct miscellaneous mapping assignments and provide general GIS support.
2. Edit OpenStreetMap data to support operational purposes, requires collaborating with jurisdictions and the OpenStreetMap Community. Include map verification processes and data preparation processes for internal systems such as trip planner, scheduling, and dispatch.
3. Assist in the maintenance and collection of spatial data with a Global Positioning System (GPS).
4. Research, conduct field work and/or view aerial photography to collect and verify GIS data.
5. Conduct planning studies and prepare graphics for presentation; may perform presentations.
6. Write documentation of tasks and projects of user requirements.
7. Utilize Census data for demographic analysis.
8. Geocode data to create maps for presentation and analysis.
1. Knowledge of basic principles in GIS, GPS, cartography, planning, or graphics and design.
2. Ability to adapt quickly and function within a variety of different software environments.
3. Ability to think analytically and to problem solve.
4. Ability to work independently and with a supervisor or team.
5. Ability to follow directions in a prompt and courteous manner.
6. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in writing and orally.
7. Ability to work within deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
8. Ability to observe good work ethics; be dependable, reliable and conscientious.
9. Ability to perform detailed work accurately.
10. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, management and the general public, including those from culturally diverse backgrounds, the elderly, persons with disabilities and/or other vulnerable populations.
11. Demonstrated ability to display superior customer service attitude and ethic.
12. Ability to operate personal computer systems including Word, Excel and Outlook. Demonstrated proficiency to accurately keyboard (type).