Job Title: Marine Spatial Analyst
Job Location: Stennis Space Center, Mississippi, USA
Job Type: Full time Contract Position
Company: CSS-Dynamac** (http://www.consolidatedsafety.com/)
Start Date: Jan 2, 2012 or until filled
Where To Apply: https://jobs-consolidatedsafety.icims.com/jobs/1354/job
Salary: $ Negotiable (commensurate with experience)
A person with academic training in marine biology, ecology, fisheries, and spatial or landscape ecology is being sought for a full-time contract position with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science (NCCOS), Center for Coastal Monitoring and Assessment (CCMA), Biogeography Branch. The Branch conducts ecological studies that map, characterize, assess, and model the spatial distributions and movements of estuarine and marine organisms across habitats throughout the United States and Island Territories. The successful candidate will have the following core responsibilities.
*Provide statistical and analytical support to projects that map marine ecosystems and the distributions of biota in the Gulf of Mexico. Initial efforts will focus on mapping fish and their associated habitats.
Specific duties include:
*Produce detailed statistical summaries of collected data (e.g.estimates of means and variance by seasons, year, other categories, quantiles summaries, etc.);
*Evaluate and analyze field data to create maps of benthic habitats and species distributions;
*Develop cartographic products and associated metadata;
*Assist with writing technical reports and journal articles; and,
*Travel to agencies (federal, state, academic) that may provide data or expertise to vet analytical approaches or products.
*Provide statistical and analytical support for other Biogeography Branch projects including work with deep-water corals, coastal pollution, and
marine birds and mammals.
* Master of Science degree in a Biology, Ecology, Zoology, or a related field;
* Excellent written and oral communication skills;
* Graduate training in statistics and demonstrated experience in multivariate statistics;
* Relevant experience or academic training in Geographic Information Systems, especially ArcGIS;
* Knowledge of marine biology and spatial ecology.
* Experience with ArcGIS editing and the use of ArcGIS extensions, such as Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst and Geostatistical Analyst;
* Experience with GIS modeling techniques;
* Experience with statistical software e.g., SAS, Primer and/or JMP;
* Knowledge of coastal and marine ecosystems in the Gulf of Mexico.
*Where to Apply*: