Alta Planning + Design is California’s premier bicycle, pedestrian, greenway and multi-modal transportation planning and design firm. Alta has an immediate opening for an experienced GIS professional in our Berkeley office. Candidates should have at least 5 years of proven project-based experience, strong graphic communication skills, and a desire to work in a fast-paced consulting environment on some of the most cutting-edge bicycle, pedestrian, safe routes to school, and complete streets projects in California. For more information about our company and our projects visit our website at www.altaplanning.com.
• Join a dedicated team of planners and designers who are leaders in the field
• Work with a team developing cutting-edge GIS and data modeling products
• Competitive salary and benefits, including 401(k), health insurance, dental/vision benefit, and benefits for commuting by transit, annual bike repairs, and active living/wellness
Alta seeks a dedicated and energetic individual to lead, document, and implement a suite of unique GIS and transportation analysis and modeling tools in collaboration with our team of senior project management staff.
Candidates should have demonstrated experience with tabular and KML-based data integration, cartographic design, data modeling and maintenance, digitizing, surface and network analysis, and technical writing, in addition to experience collaborating with staff and overseeing staff work.
Duties will include collaborating with our talented planning/GIS staff to innovate, standardize and promote the firm’s data modeling and analysis tools; assisting project managers by providing GIS-based analysis and mapping; data model development and documentation, including transportation demand, site suitability, and transportation level of service; web mapping application development in collaboration with IT staff; map layout and symbology template design in collaboration with graphics staff; and preparing technical memos and project-related research. Passion for our field and mission is a must.
• Minimum 5 years of relevant professional GIS experience; consulting experience preferred
• Bachelor degree required; Master degree in Geography/Urban Planning or related field preferred
• Experience with transportation planning/demand or related discipline
• Desire to work in a fast-paced, challenging, and fun work environment
• Excellent graphic and written communication skills
• Expert user of ArcGIS 10.1, Spatial Analyst, Network Analyst, Model Builder, various non-ESRI plug-in tools (e.g., Hawth's Tools and ET GeoWizards), Adobe Illustrator, and Google Earth
• Intermediate to expert skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint
• Familiarity with Python is a plus
• Normal office working conditions
• Job may require limited local travel
• Job may require hours that exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours a week
• May require bending, stooping, lifting up to 35 pounds
Compensation depends on experience. Alta offers excellent benefits, flexible work schedules, and a fun, collaborative work environment with an extremely dedicated and skilled group of planners and designers.
To apply: Please send your cover letter, resume, and professional writing samples and/or portfolio to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Position(s) open until filled. No calls please. Applications can also be mailed to:
Alta Planning + Design
Attn: Human Resources
711 SE Grand Ave.
Portland, OR 97214
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities in order to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Alta Planning + Design is an Equal Opportunity Employer