Closing date: 2023-07-28
Position: Spatial Research Analyst
Organization: Earth Insight
Country: United States
Contact: Earth Insight Hiring Committee
Contact Email: email@example.com
Spatial Research Analyst We are seeking a highly motivated Spatial Analyst to support the development of spatial tools and analytical approaches to qualify and quantify the future threats and ongoing impacts posed by future extractive industry development.
The Spatial Analyst reports to the Science and Research Director and works collaboratively with other team members to gather, process, and analyze spatial data, and produce high-quality maps, novel visualizations and reports. You will also assist with the preparation of communication products that support Earth Insight’s engagement efforts with partner organizations and at key international fora including but not limited to Conference of Parties (COP) of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the Convention of Biological Diversity CBD). The ideal candidate has a can-do attitude, is committed to contributing to meaningful change at a local to global level and has a curiosity about exploring new methods for analyzing and visualizing data. Demonstrable experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS), is required and familiarity with open-source tools and libraries for spatial analysis and management and web mapping (e.g. Leaflet, Mapbox etc.) strongly appreciated. This position is open to those authorized to work in the U.S., and is fully remote.
- Perform data collection, analysis, and visualization using QGIS and other GIS software
- Manage and maintain spatial databases, including data entry, data quality control, and data organization
- Conduct spatial/GIS based data analyses to identify the threats associated with mining, oil and gas development and other drivers impacting local to global ecosystems, climate, biodiversity, and people
- Produce high-quality maps, innovative data visualizations, and reports
- Work collaboratively with other team members to provide support for various projects and cross-program priorities (ex: press strategy) as needed
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Geography, Environmental Science, or related areas
- Demonstrable experience with open GIS software, specifically QGIS and related software packages (QGIS/SAGA/GDAL)
- Demonstrable experience with at least one scripting language (Python, R, etc.)
- Experience with basic web mapping (e.g. Leaflet, Mapbox etc.) is an advantage
- A strong interest in environmental justice issues
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
**Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: **
RLF is committed to creating and maintaining a work environment free from discrimination, where all team members feel valued, respected, and included. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates, whatever their race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability status, religious or political affiliation, marital status, or any other dimension of diversity. We know that our work is enriched by the varied voices and perspectives of every staff and board member, so we are committed to making an earnest effort to recruit, welcome, train, develop, and retain talented individuals from diverse backgrounds. We believe that a diverse and inclusive culture expands our creative capacity to do our work and achieve greater outcomes for people and the natural world. We invite you to learn more about RLF’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion on our **[website](https://resourceslegacyfund.org/diversity-equity-inclusion/)**.
RLF is committed to providing competitive compensation and a total rewards package that emphasizes both base salary and comprehensive benefits. The starting salary range for this role is $65,000-$85,000. Offers are based on qualifications and experience and our practice of maintaining salary equity within our organization. We have an alternate Fridays off work schedule (employees work 40 hours one week, 32 hours the next week) and offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401k plan with up to a 5% match, and generous paid time off including approximately 17 paid holidays per year. RLF also offers a technology allowance, student loan repayment assistance, the Calm app, mental health benefits, and fertility and adoption/surrogacy benefits.
*To Apply:** Please provide a resume and cover letter explaining how your skills and experience align with this position to **[firstname.lastname@example.org](mailto:email@example.com)** and specify your name and position you are applying for in the subject line.
**Deadline For All Positions to Apply:** We will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applying sooner than later is encouraged.
**About Earth InSight and the Resources Legacy Fund:**
Earth Insight is a fiscally sponsored project of Resources Legacy Fund (RLF) based in Sacramento, California. RLF builds alliances that advance bold solutions to secure a just and resilient world for people and nature. RLF partners with philanthropy, community groups, government, science, and business to promote smart policies and ensure equitable public funding for the environment, climate change resilience, and healthy communities. Across the American West and internationally, RLF manages complex, multi-year grantmaking programs and fiscally sponsors projects that accelerate change on environmental and equity issues.