Urban Forestry is hiring! If you love exploring the city, connecting with community, and working with trees, spend your summer working with our team! This seasonal position is a great opportunity for folks interested in the environment to gain experience in managing and caring for our city's trees.
See highlights below, and visit our website to apply:
Urban Forestry Assistant (Community Service Aide II)
These positions will support Portland Parks & Recreation Urban Forestry's Science, Outreach, and Planting programs, including the Tree Inventory Project, Yard Tree Giveaway, and Dutch Elm Disease Management programs. Staff will learn how to identify 100 species of trees, care for young trees, and engage the public about the importance of urban trees, with a focus on underserved communities.
Duties may include the following:
- Collecting tree data using mobile GIS
- Training and working alongside youth and volunteers to identify and inventory trees
- Interacting with a diversity of residents, and providing information on Portland's urban forest
- Communicating with customers to coordinate visits, answer questions, and register for programs
- Assisting with outreach with a focus on underserved communities, including Black, Indigenous, and communities of color, people whose primary language is not English, and low-income residents
- Start dates may vary, with some positions starting May 12, 2022, running 5-6 months
- Starting pay rate is $19/hour
- Work site is 10910 N. Denver Ave., Portland, OR 97217
- Accepting applications now, reviewing weekly starting 3/14/2022
- Interviews beginning in late March. Apply soon!